Calculating Photon Momentum and Speed for a 1205 kg Spaceship with a Square Sail

• Thread starter thatguy101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: AdpphΔv = (ΔtσAdpph)/(AM)Δv = (21 days)(3.84*10^21 photons/m^2)(1.3*10^-27 kgm/s)/(1205 kg)(26.3 m)Δv = 5.199 m/sIn summary, the ship could be traveling at a speed of 5.199 m/s after 21 days in space near Earth, assuming the photons are not reflected back by the sail.
thatguy101

Homework Statement

In space near earth, about 3.84*10^21 photons are incident per square meter. On average, the momentum of a photon is 1.3*10^-27. Assume we have a 1205 kg spaceship, and a square sail that is 26.3m wide.
How fast could the ship be traveling after 21 days?

Homework Equations

F*Δt=m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by finding the force the photons would have on 1 m^2 and then multplied that by 26.3 to get the force on the sail
[itex] (1.30*10^-27)(*3.84*10^+21)*(26.3^2) [/itex]
and got .00345 N
Since F=ma, I divided that by 1205 to get 2.865*10^-6
I then took 21 days and changed it to 1814400 s. So i multiplied 2.865*10^-6 by1814400 to get 5.19914 m/s. Did i go wrong somewhere cause the computer says I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Is any information given about whether or not the photons are reflected back by the sail?

thatguy101 said:

Homework Statement

In space near earth, about 3.84*10^21 photons are incident per square meter. On average, the momentum of a photon is 1.3*10^-27. Assume we have a 1205 kg spaceship, and a square sail that is 26.3m wide.
How fast could the ship be traveling after 21 days?

Homework Equations

F*Δt=m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by finding the force the photons would have on 1 m^2 and then multplied that by 26.3 to get the force on the sail
[itex] (1.30*10^-27)(*3.84*10^+21)*(26.3^2) [/itex]
Your method is right. It may be a matter of significant figures. Try to work out the solution using symbols and plug in numbers at the end. It makes it easier to follow:

Fsail = dpship/dt= ndpph/dt = σAdpph/dt where σ is the number of photons per unit area

mΔv = FΔt = ΔtσAdpph/dt

AM

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the momentum of a photon?

The momentum of a photon can be calculated using the formula p = h/λ, where p is the momentum, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and λ is the wavelength of the photon in meters.

2. What is the speed of a photon?

The speed of a photon is a constant and is equal to the speed of light, which is approximately 3.00 x 10^8 m/s.

3. How does the mass of the spaceship affect the momentum of the photon?

The mass of the spaceship does not affect the momentum of the photon. According to the momentum equation, momentum is directly proportional to the wavelength of the photon and is independent of the mass of the object.

4. What is a square sail and how does it affect the photon momentum and speed?

A square sail is a type of solar sail that uses the pressure of photons from the Sun to propel a spacecraft. The sail reflects the photons, transferring momentum to the spacecraft and increasing its speed. The amount of momentum transferred depends on the surface area of the sail and the intensity of the photons.

5. Can you calculate the photon momentum and speed for a specific spaceship?

Yes, the photon momentum and speed for a specific spaceship can be calculated by knowing the wavelength of the photons and the surface area of the sail. Using the momentum equation, the momentum can be calculated and then the speed can be determined using the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy.