Calculating Properties of Nucleus

In summary, we have expressed the mass of a nucleus in terms of its mass number A and nucleon mass m_{n}, the volume of a spherical nucleus in terms of A and a defined constant r_{0}, and the density of the nucleus in terms of the nucleon mass and r_{0}. By plugging in the values of these constants, we can obtain a numerical value for the density of the nucleus.
Lissajoux

Homework Statement

1. Write down an approximate expression for the mass of a nucleus in terms of mass number A and nucleon mass [itex]m_{n}[/itex]

2. Assuming that the nucleus is spherical, find an expression for the volume of this nucleus in terms of A and [itex]r_{0}[/itex]

3. Find a numerical value for the density of the nucleus. Use [itex]m_{n}=1.67\times10^{-27}kg[/itex]

Homework Equations

Within the problem statement and solution attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I have that nuclear mass is [itex]M=A[/itex], but I don't see where [itex]m_{n}[/itex] factors in.

2. Average nuclei radius: [itex]r=r_{0}A^{1/3}[/itex] where [itex]r_{0}[/itex] is a defined constant.

3. Obviously density is mass over volume. Using the value in part 2 for the radius, can calculate the volume of the spherical nucleus. Using this and the value of the nucleus mass given, can calculate the volume. But I don't know what A is in order to be able to get a numerical value.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lissajoux said:

Homework Statement

1. Write down an approximate expression for the mass of a nucleus in terms of mass number A and nucleon mass [itex]m_{n}[/itex]

2. Assuming that the nucleus is spherical, find an expression for the volume of this nucleus in terms of A and [itex]r_{0}[/itex]

3. Find a numerical value for the density of the nucleus. Use [itex]m_{n}=1.67\times10^{-27}kg[/itex]

Homework Equations

Within the problem statement and solution attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I have that nuclear mass is [itex]M=A[/itex], but I don't see where [itex]m_{n}[/itex] factors in.

2. Average nuclei radius: [itex]r=r_{0}A^{1/3}[/itex] where [itex]r_{0}[/itex] is a defined constant.

3. Obviously density is mass over volume. Using the value in part 2 for the radius, can calculate the volume of the spherical nucleus. Using this and the value of the nucleus mass given, can calculate the volume. But I don't know what A is in order to be able to get a numerical value.

1. What is the mass number?? Hint: It does not have units of mass.

2. You didn't find the volume.

3. Just divide answer from 1 with 2 to get the density.

1. A = Mass Number = Number of Nucleons = Number of Protons + Number of Neutrons

I don't see what's going on here, how I can get the expression or any values to get an actual numerical answer.

2. So I have the radius, and can work out the volume as:

[tex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi\left({r_{0}A^{1/3}}\right)^{2}[/tex]

3. OK so this is pretty obvious to do then once parts 1. and 2. are sorted out.

Lissajoux said:
1. A = Mass Number = Number of Nucleons = Number of Protons + Number of Neutrons

I don't see what's going on here, how I can get the expression or any values to get an actual numerical answer.

2. So I have the radius, and can work out the volume as:

[tex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi\left({r_{0}A^{1/3}}\right)^{2}[/tex]

3. OK so this is pretty obvious to do then once parts 1. and 2. are sorted out.

1. If I have 5 bowling bowls and each bowling ball weighs 10 pounds and i put them all in one box. How much would the box weigh? You know how much each nucleon weighs.

2. I think you meant:
[tex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi\left({r_{0}A^{1/3}}\right)^{3}[/tex]

Is this: [itex]m_{n}=1.67\times10^{-27}kg[/itex] the mass of the nucleus or the mass of an individual nucleon? I think it's the latter, but I've got a bit confused now.

1. So using [itex]m_{n}=1.67\times10^{-27}kg[/itex], multiply this by A to get the mass of the nucleus? I don't know the value of A though.

2. Yes that is what I meant, it was a typo in the formula. So I can use the mass that I've just calculated in part 1, and the radius from initial question part 2, yep?

Lissajoux said:
Is this: [itex]m_{n}=1.67\times10^{-27}kg[/itex] the mass of the nucleus or the mass of an individual nucleon? I think it's the latter, but I've got a bit confused now.

1. So using [itex]m_{n}=1.67\times10^{-27}kg[/itex], multiply this by A to get the mass of the nucleus? I don't know the value of A though.

2. Yes that is what I meant, it was a typo in the formula. So I can use the mass that I've just calculated in part 1, and the radius from initial question part 2, yep?

1.Write down an approximate expression for the mass of a nucleus in terms of mass number A and nucleon mass [itex]m_{n}[/itex]. It is not asking for a value in this question just an expression. You have A nucleons and you know the mass of each.

3. Yep and it looks like the A's will cancel.

So then:

1. Mass of nucleus expressed by: [tex]M = A \times M_{n}[/tex]

2. Volume of nucleus expressed by: [tex]V = \frac{4}{3}\pi\left({r_{0}A^{1/3}}\right)^{3} = \frac{4}{3}\pi r_{0}^{3}A[/tex]

3. Density of nucleus expressed by: [tex]\rho = \frac{1.67\times10^{-27}}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r_{0}^{3}}\impies [/tex] simplifies further?!

Lissajoux said:
So then:

1. Mass of nucleus expressed by: [tex]M = A \times M_{n}[/tex]

2. Volume of nucleus expressed by: [tex]V = \frac{4}{3}\pi\left({r_{0}A^{1/3}}\right)^{3} = \frac{4}{3}\pi r_{0}^{3}A[/tex]

3. Density of nucleus expressed by: [tex]\rho = \frac{1.67\times10^{-27}}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r_{0}^{3}}\impies [/tex] simplifies further?!

Yes because you know the value of [tex] r_{0}[/tex] right? It is asking for a numerical answer.

3. Yes I know the value of [itex]r_{0}[/itex]. So can put this into give me a numerical result for the value of the nucleus density.

2. Can also put value of [itex]r_{0}[/itex] into the equation for the nucleus volume, I think that will just make things look worse though than the nice expression there in terms of it.

Lissajoux said:
3. Yes I know the value of [itex]r_{0}[/itex]. So can put this into give me a numerical result for the value of the nucleus density.

2. Can also put value of [itex]r_{0}[/itex] into the equation for the nucleus volume, I think that will just make things look worse though than the nice expression there in terms of it.

1. Yep, looks good!

2. Of course, you can put the numerical value of [itex]r_{0}[/itex] into any equation that contains [itex]r_{0}[/itex]. Your problem (#2) asks for an expression involving [itex]r_{0}[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] though.

Great! =D

In regards to 2. I think will leave it in terms of [itex]r_{0}[/itex] and maybe just state the value of it seperately below.

What is the nucleus?

The nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains most of its mass and is made up of protons and neutrons.

What are the properties of the nucleus?

The properties of the nucleus include its mass, charge, spin, and energy levels of its constituent particles.

Why is it important to calculate properties of the nucleus?

Calculating properties of the nucleus allows us to understand the behavior and interactions of atoms, which is crucial in fields such as nuclear physics, chemistry, and medicine.

How are the properties of the nucleus calculated?

The properties of the nucleus can be calculated using mathematical models, such as the nuclear shell model and the liquid drop model, which take into account the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

What factors affect the properties of the nucleus?

The properties of the nucleus can be affected by the number of protons and neutrons, the nuclear forces between these particles, and the energy levels of the particles within the nucleus.