Calculating Required n-hexane Volume for 'W' Separation | Analytical Chem.

• Thread starter tipton12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analytical
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving separation and calculations related to partition coefficients. The problem asks for the total volume of n-hexane needed to decrease the concentration of 'W' to 1.00 x 10^-4 using 25.0 mL portions of hexane. The partition coefficient (K) for this problem is given as 9.6 and it is confirmed that this K should be used for the calculations.
tipton12
Alright, this one is from my analytical chem. class and right now we're doing separations and all the calculations related (partition coefficients, etc.). Anyway, I'm having trouble with this one. It seems easy, but let me know what you think a good starting point would be...

What total volume of n-hexane is required to decrease the concentration of 'W' to 1.00 x 10^-4 if 25.oo mL of 0.0500 M 'W' are extracted with:
a) 25.0 mL portions of hexane

My professor listed the partition coefficient (K) as being 9.6 in problem #1, but it is not stated as to whether that 'K' also applies to this problem too. So I'm confused as to whether I need to start by calculating a new 'K'. This is what was given in problem #1 (which I already finished):

K= [W]hexane / [W]water = 9.6

Please help!
-Jen

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For a given pair of solvents (water and n-hexane in your case) and for a given substance partition coefficient is always the same (it may depend on pressure and temperature, but these are usually neglected in calculations). So - use the K given.

Hi Jen,

First of all, great job on finishing problem #1! Calculating partition coefficients can be tricky, so it's great that you were able to successfully complete that problem.

In this problem, you will need to use the same partition coefficient (K = 9.6) that was given in problem #1. This is because the partition coefficient is a constant value for a specific compound and solvent system. In other words, it does not change based on the amount of solvent used.

To start, you will need to use the formula for partition coefficient:

K = [W]hexane / [W]water

Since you are trying to decrease the concentration of 'W' to 1.00 x 10^-4, you know that the final concentration of 'W' in the n-hexane layer must be 1.00 x 10^-4. This means that [W]hexane = 1.00 x 10^-4.

You also know that you are using 25.0 mL of hexane in each extraction, so the total volume of hexane used will be 25.0 mL x n (where n is the number of extractions).

The initial concentration of 'W' in the water layer is 0.0500 M, and you are extracting 25.0 mL of this solution. This means that the initial amount of 'W' extracted is 0.0500 M x 25.0 mL = 1.25 x 10^-3 moles.

Now, you can plug these values into the partition coefficient formula:

9.6 = (1.00 x 10^-4) / (1.25 x 10^-3 x n)

Solving for n, you get n = 8.0.

This means that you will need to do 8 extractions with 25.0 mL of hexane each to decrease the concentration of 'W' to 1.00 x 10^-4. So the total volume of hexane required will be 25.0 mL x 8 = 200 mL.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your analytical chem class!

Related to Calculating Required n-hexane Volume for 'W' Separation | Analytical Chem.

1. What is the purpose of analytical separations?

Analytical separations are used to separate and isolate individual components from a mixture for analysis. This allows for the identification and quantification of each component, providing valuable information about the composition of the mixture.

2. What are the different methods of analytical separations?

There are several methods of analytical separations, including chromatography, electrophoresis, filtration, and distillation. Each method utilizes different principles and techniques to achieve separation of components.

3. How does chromatography work in analytical separations?

Chromatography involves the separation of components based on their differential interactions with a stationary phase and a mobile phase. The components with stronger interactions with the stationary phase will move slower and be separated from those with weaker interactions.

4. What types of samples can be analyzed using analytical separations?

Analytical separations can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, gases, and solids. These samples can be of biological, chemical, or environmental origin, making analytical separations a versatile tool in many fields of science.

5. What are the key factors to consider when choosing an analytical separation method?

The key factors to consider when choosing an analytical separation method include the properties of the sample, the desired level of separation, the sensitivity and selectivity of the method, and the availability of equipment and resources. These factors will help determine the most appropriate method for a specific analysis.