Calculating Roller Coaster Speed at the Bottom of a Dip

In summary, the weight of passengers on a roller coaster increases by 50% as the car goes through a dip with a 36 m radius of curvature. To solve for the car's speed at the bottom of the dip, the equation mv^2/r can be used, as the sum of the forces (normal force - force of gravity) is equal to the centripetal force. The tangential velocity can be found using this equation. It is important to note that the PF guidelines require posting an attempted solution before receiving help for a homework question.
lmc489
The weight of passengers on a roller coaster increases by 50 % as the car goes through a dip with a 36 m radius of curvature.

What is the car's speed at the bottom of the dip?

Do you use the equation mv^2/r ??

how would you go about doing this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
lmc489 said:
The weight of passengers on a roller coaster increases by 50 % as the car goes through a dip with a 36 m radius of curvature.

What is the car's speed at the bottom of the dip?

Do you use the equation mv^2/r ??

how would you go about doing this problem?
That looks like a good equation to use. What have you attempted thus far?

Just to make you aware that the PF guidelines require that you post an attempted solution, or at least detail your thoughts, before we can help you with a homework question.

uk=F/N
F=mg
F=mw^2r

mw^2r=N

uk=F/N

(30kg)(w^2)(2.45m)=30g/.4

somehow i don't think I am getting the right answer though... i get like 1.01 rad/s but i don't think that's right?

If the passengers feel as if their "weight" increases by 50% at the bottom then that means that the normal force acting up on them is going to be 50% more than the force of gravity acting down on them.

You know that the sum of the forces (in this case it would be Normal - Fg) is going to be equal to the Centripetal Force (mv^2/R).

Set up the equation and you will be able to solve for velocity.

PS- Does the problem ask for tangential of rotational velocity? I would think that for this type of problem the answer would be tangential Velocity.

nevermind! i got it!

Related to Calculating Roller Coaster Speed at the Bottom of a Dip

1. What is the weight and speed problem?

The weight and speed problem is a physics concept that involves calculating the force required to move an object at a certain speed based on its weight and the friction acting on it.

2. How do you solve a weight and speed problem?

To solve a weight and speed problem, you need to use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass (weight), and a is the acceleration (speed). You also need to consider the friction acting on the object and subtract it from the calculated force.

3. What are the units of measurement for weight and speed?

Weight is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and speed is measured in meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as pounds (lbs) and miles per hour (mph) may also be used.

4. How does weight affect speed?

Weight does not directly affect speed. However, a heavier object will require a greater force to move it at the same speed as a lighter object due to its greater mass.

5. Can you give an example of a weight and speed problem?

Sure, an example of a weight and speed problem would be calculating the force required to move a car with a mass of 1000 kg at a speed of 30 m/s, taking into account the friction of the road and air resistance.