Calculating Sample Number with Central Limit Theorem for Log-Normal Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Central Limit Theorem to calculate the sample size needed for a log-normal distribution. The equation for calculating the sample size is n = (\frac{z.\sigma}{EBM})^{2}, where z is the corresponding z score for the desired confidence level, and EBM is the error bound for the population mean. EBM is typically set based on the acceptable margin of error, and is usually expressed as a percentage of the population mean.
thomas49th
Say I have a a log-normal distrubution of data. I want to use the central limit theorem to calculate how big the sample number should be. I would use the geometric standard deviation and we're dealing with a log normal distribution, correct?

Using the CLT I can arrive at the equation:

[tex]n = (\frac{z.\sigma}{EBM})^{2}[/tex]

Where z is the corrisponding z score from the cofindence level. Using 95% confidence in a 2 tail test yields z to be 1.96. Sigma is the mean (it shouldn't matter if I use the geometric and oppose to the arithmetic right?) and EBM is the error bound for a population mean. Now I need some help here please, on what EBM should typically be? I'm still not sure what EBM actually is... is it the same as 'relative error'

Is this equation the right way about going to calculate the sample number required?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the equation you have given is correct for calculating the sample size you need for a log normal distribution in order to use the Central Limit Theorem. As for the EBM (Error Bound for the Mean), it is typically set based on the acceptable margin of error that you are willing to accept in the estimate of the population mean. Generally, EBM is expressed in terms of a percentage of the population mean, and is usually set to a value between 0.05 and 0.20.

What is the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that the sampling distribution of the mean of any independent, identically distributed random variables will tend towards a normal distribution as the sample size increases.

Why is the Central Limit Theorem important?

The Central Limit Theorem is important because it allows us to make conclusions about a population based on a relatively small sample size. This is because the sampling distribution of the mean will be normally distributed, which is a well-understood and predictable distribution.

Are there any assumptions for the Central Limit Theorem to hold?

Yes, the Central Limit Theorem assumes that the random variables are independent and identically distributed. Additionally, the sample size should be large enough (usually at least 30) and the population from which the sample is drawn should not be heavily skewed.

Can the Central Limit Theorem be applied to any type of data?

The Central Limit Theorem can be applied to any type of data that meets the assumptions mentioned above. This includes both continuous and discrete data. However, it is important to note that the sample size should be large enough for the theorem to hold.

Can the Central Limit Theorem be proven?

The Central Limit Theorem cannot be proven, but it has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in a wide range of scenarios. It is considered a fundamental principle in statistics and is widely accepted by the scientific community.