How can I calculate skin conductance from voltage readings in my research study?

In summary: Welcome to the PF. In summary, the software that the researcher is using measures voltage on the second electrode, but they need to convert it to conductance. The attached schematic has a formula for converting this voltage, but the term that the researcher doesn't know is 6M6. Can anyone help them out with this?
tentativetitle
I am collecting skin conductance data for a research study. For this, we apply a constant voltage (5v) to a participants finger and then measure the voltage at another finger (or I think this is what is happening, there is also something about a resistor in there [see attached schematic]).

The software I am using is giving me readings of the voltage being measured on the second electrode, but I need to convert this to conductance. The attached schematic has a formula for doing this - R = [(+sig) / 5 - (+sig)]6M6 - but I don't understand it. I believe that the +sig is the output that I am getting in the software, which would just leave the 6M6 as the term that I don't know. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Galvanic Skin Resistance Sensor.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 554
Engineering news on Phys.org
tentativetitle said:
I am collecting skin conductance data for a research study. For this, we apply a constant voltage (5v) to a participants finger and then measure the voltage at another finger (or I think this is what is happening, there is also something about a resistor in there [see attached schematic]).

The software I am using is giving me readings of the voltage being measured on the second electrode, but I need to convert this to conductance. The attached schematic has a formula for doing this - R = [(+sig) / 5 - (+sig)]6M6 - but I don't understand it. I believe that the +sig is the output that I am getting in the software, which would just leave the 6M6 as the term that I don't know. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

I'm glad to see that you are incorporating the 10uA max safety feature into your GSR project! :smile:

But, shouldn't you be making an AC measurement? DC measurements have issues with polarization altering the measurements...

That is a good point. According to this publication: "Publication recommendations for electrodermal measurements", it is pretty common to use DC for gsr, but that AC may be preferable, because the polarization issue with the DC can cause drift in the signal.

I will be using measurements of about 4 seconds each in analysis (the four seconds after a given image is shown to the participant) and each of these 4 second chunks will be baseline corrected, using the average activity 1 second before the picture as the baseline. Hopefully this will minimize the measurement drift due to DC, but it sounds like AC would be preferable - something to consider when I get my own lab and purchase equipment.

Related to How can I calculate skin conductance from voltage readings in my research study?

1. What is skin conductance and how is it measured?

Skin conductance, also known as galvanic skin response, is a measure of the electrical conductivity of the skin. It is typically measured using electrodes placed on the skin, which detect changes in the skin's moisture levels. These changes are caused by changes in the activity of the sweat glands, which are controlled by the sympathetic nervous system.

2. What can skin conductance be used to measure?

Skin conductance can be used as a measure of physiological arousal or emotional response. It is commonly used in psychological research to study emotional reactions to stimuli, such as fear or anxiety, and can also be used in lie detection tests.

3. How is skin conductance calculated?

Skin conductance is calculated by measuring the electrical resistance between two electrodes placed on the skin. The resistance is then converted into conductance by taking the inverse of the resistance value. This conductance value is typically measured in microsiemens (μS).

4. What factors can affect skin conductance levels?

Several factors can affect skin conductance levels, including age, gender, and medication use. Emotional state, physical activity, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also influence skin conductance readings.

5. How accurate is skin conductance as a measure of emotional response?

Skin conductance is generally considered a reliable measure of emotional response, as changes in skin conductance have been found to correspond with changes in emotional states. However, it should be used in conjunction with other measures to get a complete understanding of an individual's emotional response.