Calculating Skydiver's Landing Speed with Constant Retarding Forces

In summary, a skydiver with a mass of 80.0kg jumps out of a balloon at 1000m and opens the parachute at 200m. Assuming a constant retarding force of 50.0N with the parachute closed and 3600N with the parachute open, the speed of the diver when he lands on the ground is 24.5m/s. The calculations involve using the equations for work done, kinetic energy, and potential energy to find the total energy and solve for velocity.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

An 80.0kg skydiver jumps out of balloon at an altitude of 1000m and opens the parachute at an altitude of 200m. a) Assume that the total retarding force on the diver is constant at 50.0N with the parachute closed and constant at 3600N with the parachute open, what is the speed of the diver when he lands on the ground?

Homework Equations

Work Done equation
Kinetic Energy equation
Potential energy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to solve this question but my answers does not seem correct and logically not possible. So i need some help on how to start this question.

P.S

Physics news on Phys.org
Since force is constant and motion is one dimensional, our best friend in this case is the F*d = W, mgh = PE, and 0.5mv^2 = KE equations. There is "positive" energy from the used potential energy in the fall and there is "negative" energy (force is acting opposite to direction of motion) from 800m of constant 50N force and then 200 m of constant 3600N force thereafter. Sum up the "positive" and "negative" energies and you will be able to solve for velocity with 0.5mv^2 = KE (all of the energy is converted to KE).

so is the 3600N and 50N Potential Energy or is it the total force exerted within that distance?

Force. The potential energy incolves the 1000 m of height.

this is what i have done:

PE = mgh
PE = 80 * 9.8 * 1000
PE = 1784J

Now to find the W done for 800m and 200m

W = 50 * 800
W = 4000J negative because it is opposite to the downward direction

W = 3600 * 200
W = -720000J negative because it is opposite to the downward direction

So if i make Total Force=KE then

-4000 + -720000 + 1784 = 0.5* 80 * v^2

722216 = 40 * v^2

v=134.37m/s

Thats quite a big error you have in calculating for potential energy there. The concept is right. The calculations are wrong.

Paymemoney said:
this is what i have done:

PE = mgh
PE = 80 * 9.8 * 1000
PE = 784000Joules

Now to find the W done for 800m and 200m

W = 50 * 800
W = -40000J negative because it is opposite to the downward direction

W = 3600 * 200
W = -720000J negative because it is opposite to the downward direction

So if i make Total Force=KE then

-40000 + -720000 + 784000 = 0.5* 80 * v^2

24000= 40 * v^2

v=24.5m/s

fixed i get the correct answer :) thanks.

Related to Calculating Skydiver's Landing Speed with Constant Retarding Forces

1. What is parachute motion?

Parachute motion refers to the movement of a parachute as it descends through the air. It involves the interaction between gravity, air resistance, and the shape and design of the parachute.

2. How does the size of the parachute affect its motion?

The size of the parachute affects its motion by changing the amount of air resistance it experiences. A larger parachute will experience more air resistance and therefore have a slower descent compared to a smaller parachute.

3. What is the relationship between air resistance and parachute motion?

Air resistance plays a crucial role in parachute motion. As the parachute falls, it pushes against the air molecules, creating a force that opposes the force of gravity. This air resistance helps slow down the descent of the parachute.

4. How does the shape of the parachute affect its motion?

The shape of the parachute also affects its motion. A parachute with a larger surface area will experience more air resistance, while a parachute with a more streamlined shape will have less air resistance. This can affect the descent speed and stability of the parachute.

5. What factors can affect the descent speed of a parachute?

The descent speed of a parachute can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size, shape, and design of the parachute, as well as the air density and wind conditions. Other factors such as the weight of the object being dropped and the length of the parachute's suspension lines can also impact descent speed.