Calculating tangent spaces via curves.

In summary, the method for calculating the tangent space to a smooth manifold involves using a smooth curve on the manifold and applying a defining condition to get a condition on the tangent vector. This technique can be used for various manifolds, such as the sphere and Lie groups. However, the justification for this method is not entirely clear, and it may be related to the concept of "germs" and constructing the tangent space from these germs. A helpful resource for understanding this method is provided in the conversation.
Kreizhn
In my experience, whenever we want to calculate the tangent space to a smooth manifold, we usually proceed as follows.

Let M be a smooth manifold and p in M. Let [itex] \gamma: \mathbb R \to M [/itex] be a smooth curve such that [itex] \gamma(0) = p [/itex] and [itex] \gamma'(0) = X [/itex]. We then use some defining quality of M to get a condition on X.

For example, for the sphere [itex] S^2 = \{ x \in \mathbb R^3 : x\cdot x - 1 = 0\} [/itex] we can proceed as [itex] \left.\frac{d}{dt}\right|_{t=0} (\gamma(t) \cdot \gamma(t) -1) = 2 \gamma(0)\cdot \gamma'(0)= 2 p \cdot X = 0 [/itex] which implies that [itex] T_pS^2 = \{ X \in \mathbb R^3: p \cdot X = 0 \} [/itex] which is what we classically expect. Similarly, I've seen this technique used with all sorts of Lie groups to find Lie algebras.

However, I'm not certain exactly why this technique is justified. It seems to make intuitive sense, but I cannot quite convince myself that this is a rigorous method.

I think it might be related to the fact that if [itex] \gamma [/itex] is a smooth curve, then [itex] \gamma'(t_0) = \gamma_*\left( \left. \frac{d}{dt}\right|_{t=0} \right) [/itex] but I can't quite make the logical jump there. Does anybody have any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
The functions that you talk of are often called "germs". You can form an equivalence relation on the set of smooth functions on the manifold by identifying any two which agree on some open set of the point p in question.

I can't quite remember where you go from here, but there is a method of constructing the tangent space quite directly from these germs.

[edit: I found this, which seems to explain it quite well:
http://people.math.gatech.edu/~ghomi/LectureNotes/LectureNotes5G.pdf ]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating tangent spaces via curves?

The purpose of calculating tangent spaces via curves is to determine the direction and rate of change of a curve at a specific point. This allows for the understanding of the behavior and properties of the curve at that point.

2. How is the tangent space of a curve defined?

The tangent space of a curve is defined as the set of all possible tangent vectors at a specific point on the curve. These tangent vectors represent the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point.

3. What is the relationship between curves and tangent spaces?

Curves and tangent spaces are closely related as the tangent space at a specific point on a curve represents the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior and properties of curves.

4. How is the tangent space of a curve calculated?

The tangent space of a curve can be calculated by finding the derivative of the curve at a specific point. This derivative will give the slope of the tangent line at that point, which represents the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point.

5. What are the applications of calculating tangent spaces via curves?

Calculating tangent spaces via curves has many applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to analyze the behavior of curves in applications such as optimization, differential geometry, and computer graphics.