Calculating Tension in a Spider's Web: A Simple Forces Problem

In summary: I'll try again tomorrow (it's really late for me)In summary, a spider builds a web using 4 strands as support. Strand 1 is 21mN [20°E of N], strand 2 is 16mN [60°E of S], strand 3 is 18mN [40°W of S], and strand 4 is 7.1mN [E]
Heres2hoping

Homework Statement

A spider builds a web using 4 strands as support.
Strand 1: 21mN [20°E of N]
Strand 2: 16mN [60°E of S]
Strand 3: 18mN [40°W of S]

Determine the force of tension in strand 4 assuming the web is stable.

Homework Equations

r(cosθ) - N/S components
r(sinθ) - E/W components
The pythagoren theorem might be of use along with equations used in simple trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
North-South components:
Strand 1: 19.7mN [N]
Strand 2: 8mN
Strand 3: 13.7mN

East-West components:
Strand 1: 7.1mN [E]
Strand 2: 13.9mN [E]
Strand 3: 11.6mN [W]

Other than that I've determined that the direction will be in the North-West segment. I'm just having issues determining the total force acted by the 3 given strands. Any pointers would be much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Strand 2 is 8mN
Strand 3 is 13.7mN

( I'd forgotten the direction )

Draw a vector diagram.

azizlwl said:
Draw a vector diagram.
Ok, I'll do that.
But what formula should I use if I wanted to determine the total force and to what degree?

From there we can get rough idea about magnitude and direction of required force AND we can make calculation base on the drawing.

azizlwl said:
From there we can get rough idea about magnitude and direction of required force AND we can make calculation base on the drawing.
So, I can assume that the answer is going to be in the north-west segment, right?

I hope you can show the vector drawing so that we can analyze it.

azizlwl said:
I hope you can show the vector drawing so that we can analyze it.
I'm not sure how to... Sorry

Heres2hoping said:
I'm not sure how to... Sorry
I got it! I think...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 321
For a stable web, the forces are in equilibrium means total sum of forces equal to zero. A+B+C+D=0
Given vector A,B and C, so you need to find vector D.
So how to add graphicall?
What you have to do is to join(add) the vectors(arrows)
Vector can be moved anywhere as long you do Not rotate or modify size.
So you have to draw another vector diagram with head join to another vector tail.

azizlwl said:
For a stable web, the forces are in equilibrium means total sum of forces equal to zero. A+B+C+D=0
Given vector A,B and C, so you need to find vector D.
So how to add graphicall?
What you have to do is to join(add) the vectors(arrows)
Vector can be moved anywhere as long you do Not rotate or modify size.
So you have to draw another vector diagram with head join to another vector tail.
do you mean for each individual strand to become its own little triangle (in a sense)? Or more of one big one?

There are 3 arrows, you label any sequenece as you like as A,B and C.Move B, without size adjustments and rotation, so that tail of B touches head of A. Then move C so that tail of C touches head of B on new position(after adding to A)

azizlwl said:
There are 3 arrows, you label any sequenece as you like as A,B and C.Move B, without size adjustments and rotation, so that tail of B touches head of A. Then move C so that tail of C touches head of B on new position(after adding to A)
Oh my goodness! It makes so much more sense! Thank you so much! I'm going to go try that out

Heres2hoping said:
Oh my goodness! It makes so much more sense! Thank you so much! I'm going to go try that out
Ok, so where do I go from there? I don't have the angles of the new triangle, so do I need to figure them out?

Hope you can show the vectors addition diagram.
Then we can discuss adding vectors algebraically.

Heres2hoping said:
Ok, so where do I go from there? I don't have the angles of the new triangle, so do I need to figure them out?
Actually, I think I'll try to figure out the rest tomorrow. I understand the problem more than I had, so thank you for your time :)

azizlwl said:
Hope you can show the vectors addition diagram.
Then we can discuss adding vectors algebraically.
im having problems ioading the picture, so maybe I'll try again tomorrow (it's really late for me)thank you for you help :)

1. How do you calculate the tension in a spider's web?

The tension in a spider's web can be calculated using the formula T = F/A, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the web, and A is the area of the web.

2. What forces are involved in calculating the tension in a spider's web?

The main forces involved in calculating the tension in a spider's web are the weight of the spider, the weight of any prey caught in the web, and the wind or other external forces acting on the web.

3. How does the size and shape of the web affect the tension calculation?

The size and shape of the web can affect the tension calculation as it changes the area of the web and the distribution of the forces acting on it. A larger web with more area will have a higher tension compared to a smaller web with less area.

4. Can the tension in a spider's web be measured directly?

No, the tension in a spider's web cannot be measured directly as it is a force and cannot be seen or touched. It can only be calculated using the formula mentioned in the first question.

5. How can understanding the tension in a spider's web be useful?

Understanding the tension in a spider's web can help us understand the strength and durability of the web and how it is able to support the weight of the spider and its prey. This knowledge can also be applied in engineering and design to create structures that can withstand tension forces.