Calculating Tension in Multiple String Systems

• Thread starter kaffekjele
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, the weight is strung up by two strings, with tension in each string. The first thing you did was to calculate the force on the weight using G= mg, and then tried to find the angles between the strings and the x-axis. You then set up two equations to find the forces on the weight, and found that the tension in string A is greater than the tension in string B.
kaffekjele

Homework Statement

A weight with mass m is strung up by two strings which are attached in A and B. The mass m is considered a point.
Calculate the tension i in string A and in string B.

Figure is here http://tinypic.com/r/1y1jrr/6

The mass m is 11,1kg
Distance a is 3,2m
Distance b is 3,4m
Distance c is 2,6 m
Distance d is 3,7m

(I'm translating directly from Danish, so I might not have gotten all the terms into correct English...)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was to calculate the force G for the weight using G= mg
= 11,1*9,81 = 1089N.

I then tried to find the angles between the strings and the imaginary x-axis by using the measurements provided.

The angle between string A and the x-axis(angle v1): invers tan 3,2/2,6≈51°

The angle between string A and the x-axis(angle v2): invers tan 6,6/3,7≈61°

I then set up two equations, one for the horisontal force and one for the vertical force:

Horisontally: A*cosv1-B*cosv2=0
Vertically: A*sinv1+B*sinv2=108,9

And this is where I get stuck... I don't even know if I'm going about this the right way so I'd appreciate it if someone could have a look at it and point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
So far you have done everything correctly. Why are you stuck? You should just solve the system now.

I wasn't sure I'd done it correctly since I ended up with two equations with two unknowns(up until now I've done tasks where either A or B would have been given from the beginning.)

To continue on from my first post, would this be the correct way to solve the system?

A*cosv1-B*cosv2=0
A*sin v1+B*sinv2= 108,9

A*0,6293-B*04848=0
A*0,7771+B*0,8746=108,9

(add up A)

1,4064A = 108,9 -->A=774kN

Then put value for A into the first equation which gives B = 100,5kN

This is not entirely correct. If you simply add together the two equations, you won't eliminate B; you will have

1.4064 A + 0.424 B = 108.9, which leads you nowhere.

What you should do is multiply the first equation by 0.8746/0.4848 and then add the resultant equation to the second one; the result will not have B. Can you see why?

Ah, I see my mistake. In order to do what I did the two B values would have had to be the same value in order to cancel each other out?(one being - and the other being +)

What you should do is multiply the first equation by 0.8746/0.4848 and then add the resultant equation to the second one; the result will not have B. Can you see why?

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but do you mean using 0,8746/0,4848 as a fraction like this:

[itex]A*0,6293-B*04848=0 *\frac{0,8746}{0,4848}[/itex] and then cancel 0,4848 against 0,4848?

I'm pretty sure what I just wrote is "illegal" in the world of math, but I'll leave it for now as I don't have anything better to write. I know most calculators could solve equation systems like these, but I would like to learn how to do it by hand as well, so I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend some good videos on the topic.

I am not sure about videos, but what you have here is a system of linear algebraic equations - the simplest case, two equations for two unknowns. I am pretty sure your high school curriculum should cover this.

When you multiply an equation such as aA - bB = 0 by some c, you end up with the equation acA- bcB = 0. In this case, c = 0.8746/0.4848, and, indeed, it would transform b = 0.4848 into bc = 0.8746. But mind what happens to a: it becomes ac.

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Related to Calculating Tension in Multiple String Systems

What is tension in strings?

Tension in strings is the amount of force that is pulling on a string. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How do you calculate tension in strings?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * l, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and l is the length of the string.

What factors affect the tension in strings?

The tension in strings can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the string, the force applied to the string, and the length and tightness of the string.

What is the difference between tension and compression in strings?

Tension is the force that pulls on a string, while compression is the force that pushes on a string. Tension is typically used to hold objects together, while compression is used to support weight or resist forces that are trying to pull an object apart.

Why is it important to calculate tension in strings?

Calculating tension in strings is important in many applications, such as engineering and construction, as it helps determine the strength and stability of structures and objects. It is also important in music, as the tension of strings on instruments affects the quality and pitch of the sound produced.