Calculating the definition of a derivative: 2^x

In summary, the student is trying to find the derivative of 2^x using the definition of a derivative, but is struggling with factoring out the h. They have attempted to use the limit as h approaches 0 and have gotten as far as (2^x*(2^h-1))/h. The expert suggests using the fact that 2^h can be written as e^{h ln(2)} and the derivative of e^x is e^x. The expert also explains the meaning of "using the definition of a derivative" and provides the difference quotient. Finally, the expert summarizes the solution as 2^x times a constant, and notes that the constant can be found using the knowledge of differentiating
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm supposed to find the derivative of 2^x using the definition of a derivative. I am really confused as to how I can factor out the h.

Homework Equations

y=2^x

The Attempt at a Solution

limit as h->0 in all of these, I don't want to write it out because it's going to look even worse (didn't want to learn latex right this moment).
dy/dx=(2^(x+h)-2^x)/h
dy/dx=(2^x*(2^h-1))/h
This is as far as I got and I'm not even sure if it was useful to factor out 2^x
Hopefully there is a rule for exponents that I'm not aware of that can be used for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that ##2^h = e^{h \log 2}## (where ##\log## is the natural log).

I guess you need to know some other stuff as well. Without knowing what you're allowed to use, it's hard to give you advice. Do you know the derivative of ##e^x## for example? Or the following limit?
$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{e^h - 1}h = 1$$

Honestly I'm not entirely sure what I'm allowed to use, we went over the proof for the derivative of e but we were told that we wouldn't need to know it, this question is from a previous year so maybe that year the curriculum was different? I know how to derive e^x using the chain rule but I'm not sure how I could incorporate that into my limit.

Potatochip911 said:
Honestly I'm not entirely sure what I'm allowed to use.
Well, that's one thing you'll need to figure out.

We went over the proof for the derivative of e but we were told that we wouldn't need to know it, this question is from a previous year so maybe that year the curriculum was different?
You can solve this problem pretty easily if you can use the fact that the derivative of ##e^x## is ##e^x##. You don't need to know how to prove it.

I know how to derive e^x using the chain rule but I'm not sure how I could incorporate that into my limit.
I think you mean you know how to differentiate ##e^x##. Derive doesn't mean "find the derivative of."

"Using the definition of a derivative" means using the difference quotient:
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(x+ h)- f(x)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^{x+h}- 2^x}{h}= \frac{2^x(2^h)- 2^x}{h}= 2^x \frac{2^h- 1}{h}[/tex]

So [itex]\frac{d 2^x}{dx}= 2^x\left(\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{2^h- 1}{h}\right)[/itex]
That is obviously [itex]2^x[/itex] times a constant. How to find that constant, and if you can, depends on what other knowledge you have.
([itex]2^x= e^{ln(2^x)}= e^{x ln(2)}[/itex] so if you know how to differentiate [itex]e^x[/itex] you can show that constant is ln(2).)

What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function is the rate of change of that function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the formula f'(x) = lim(h->0) (f(x+h)-f(x))/h, where h represents a small change in the x-value. This is known as the limit definition of a derivative.

What is the derivative of 2^x?

The derivative of 2^x is equal to 2^x * ln(2). This can also be written as (2^x)'.

Why is the derivative of 2^x important?

The derivative of 2^x is important because it allows us to analyze the rate of change of exponential functions. It is also used in many applications such as calculating growth rates, compound interest, and population growth.

Can the derivative of 2^x be negative?

Yes, the derivative of 2^x can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. If the derivative is positive, it means the function is increasing at that point. And if the derivative is zero, it means the function has a local extremum at that point.