Calculating the Distance Traveled by an Object Up an Incline

In summary, an object weighing 3.0 kg with an initial velocity of 3.33m/s up a 37 degree incline will go a distance of 0.94m before it stops. The conservation of energy and the equation v'^2 = v^2 + 2ad were used to solve this problem. The mass of the object was not needed and friction was ignored.
tigerengineer
an object weighing 3.0 kg has an initial velocity of 3.33m/s up a 37 degree incline. how far will it go before it stops?

you don't have to do the work, I just don't know what equations to use to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's conserved in this situation?

Nitpick:

Kilograms isn't a measure of weight.

Ok, so I'm new at this, so make sure to double check, but here are some ideas:

Method 1:

Conservation of Energy (Initial Total Energy = Final Total Energy)
Total energy is Kinetic Energy (Ek = .5mv^2) and Potential Energy (Ep = mgh)

Initial Energy = Final Energy
Ek + Ep = Ek' + Ep'

Initial Ep is 0 (since initial height, h, is 0 ) ; and final Ek is 0 (since final velocity, v', is 0)
Mass cancels (and is not needed unless we think about friction).
This gives us the height, h, which is the vertical distance - not your final answer. Draw a picture and use sin37 to find how far the object travels along the slope.

Method 2:
v'^2 = v^2 + 2ad (final velocity, v', is 0)
Mass is also not needed here! (Check the question to make sure that friction can be ignored.) Acceleration is not simply -9.8m/s^2. I imagined the slope rotated so that it is horizontal. Now find the acceleration provided by horizontal component of the force of gravity. I could also imagine the slope rotated vertically, and then find the acceleration provided by the component of the force of gravity pulling it down. The component of the force of gravity perpendicular to the slope (pulling the object into the slope) is countered by the normal force and can be ignored because we are not worried about friction.

My final answer was .94 m . Try doing it both ways and make sure the answers agree. Let me know if you see any mistakes I may have made... I am just learning this myself.

Just did it myself and my trusty calculator gave an answer of .94.When I then checked your answer I knew I got it right.

Related to Calculating the Distance Traveled by an Object Up an Incline

What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled by an object up an incline?

The formula for calculating the distance traveled by an object up an incline is: distance = length * sin(angle), where length is the length of the incline and angle is the angle of the incline in degrees.

How do I measure the length of the incline?

The length of the incline can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Place one end of the ruler at the base of the incline and extend it along the incline until you reach the top. The length shown on the ruler is the length of the incline.

What unit should I use for the length and angle in the formula?

The length should be measured in the same unit as the distance you wish to calculate (e.g. meters, feet, etc.). The angle should be measured in degrees.

Can I use this formula for any incline angle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any incline angle. However, it is important to make sure that the angle is measured accurately in degrees and that the length is measured along the incline, not just the horizontal distance.

Do I need to consider the mass of the object in this calculation?

No, the mass of the object does not affect the distance traveled up an incline. This calculation only takes into account the length of the incline and the angle of the incline.