Calculating the frequency based on LC circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 15K views
guns
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I am currently building up a lightning detector based on this website: http://www.techlib.com/electronics/lightningnew.htm
as the diagrams shows, the resonance tank included a 10mH inductor and a 10pF capacitor.
As I want to calculate the resonant frequency (using the formula f = 1/2pi*sqrt(LC)), the answer was 5Hz, which is far from the desired range (should be around 200kHz)
is there any mistake in my calculation or concept? Thanks for your help.

Guns
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
How did you get your answer? Did you consider the SI prefixes (milli, pico)?
I think there are brackets missing in your equation.
 
mfb,
I did it this way:
1/2pi*sqrt(10^(-3)*10^(-12))
which approxmately equals to 5 Hz.
 
Following up on mfb's post, you're missing brackets and are using the wrong values for the SI units:

10 mH = 10*10^(-3) H
10 pF = 10*10^(-12) F

1/(2*pi*sqrt(10*10^(-3)*10*10^(-12))) Hz = 503.3*10^3 Hz = 503.3 kHz