Calculating the probability of winning the lotto

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of winning the 6/49 lotto and the average time it would take to win based on different playing frequencies. The formula for the probability is given, but there is confusion about how to obtain the average time when playing once per day. The solution is to multiply the number of plays per win by the time per play, which results in an average time of 268,920 years. The conversation also clarifies the units being used for the calculation.
trap101
So I have a question I was going over in a textbook about calculating the probability of winning the 6/49 lotto. Which means you have to pick 6 correct numbers out of 49, order does not matter. So I got that:

P(L) = 6/49 * 5/48* 4/47 * ...* 1/44 = 1 / 13,983816

but then there is a comment afterwards that I can't figure out the solution:

"So if you were to play once a year, on the average you would win once every 13,983,816 years. If you played once per day, given that there are 364.25 days in a year,on average you would win once every 268,920 years.

How do they obtain the 268,920 years? What am I missing in being able to convert it over?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi trap101! :smile:
trap101 said:
"So if you were to play once a year, on the average you would win once every 13,983,816 years. If you played once per day, given that there are 364.25 days in a year,on average you would win once every 268,920 years.

13,983,816 / 268,920 = 51.9999

sooo :rolleyes: … i guess they meant once a week! :wink:

tiny-tim said:

13,983,816 / 268,920 = 51.9999

sooo :rolleyes: … i guess they meant once a week! :wink:

Thanks Tim, but I'm still not clearly getting it. So dividing those two sets of years provides me with 51.99, which I suppose means 52 weeks. I think I'm getting confused with which unit where.

trap101 said:
Thanks Tim, but I'm still not clearly getting it. So dividing those two sets of years provides me with 51.99, which I suppose means 52 weeks. I think I'm getting confused with which unit where.

The expected number of times you must play until you win is 13,983,816. If you played once a year, then on average you would need to wait about 13 million years until you win. If you played once per week (52 times per year) you would need to wait about 13,983,816/52 ≈ 269,000 years, etc.

(just got up :zzz:)
trap101 said:
I think I'm getting confused with which unit where.

since you're asking about units, i'll just add to what Ray :smile: says …

the units are plays per win (or play.win-1)

the question asks about time per win,

so you multiply plays per win * time per play (= time per win) …

the lotto always has a play per win of 13,983,816

if time per play is 1 year, then time per win = 13,983,816*1 years

if time per play is 1/52 year (ie 1 week), then time per win = 13,983,816*1/52 years :wink:

tiny-tim said:

(just got up :zzz:)

since you're asking about units, i'll just add to what Ray :smile: says …

the units are plays per win (or play.win-1)

the question asks about time per win,

so you multiply plays per win * time per play (= time per win) …

the lotto always has a play per win of 13,983,816

if time per play is 1 year, then time per win = 13,983,816*1 years

if time per play is 1/52 year (ie 1 week), then time per win = 13,983,816*1/52 years :wink:

Ahhh. Thank you gentlemen. It really comes down to documenting every aspect so I could get these unit troubles under control.

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of winning the lotto?

The formula for calculating the probability of winning the lotto is: P(winning) = 1 / total number of possible combinations. For example, if there are 10 million possible combinations, the probability of winning is 1 in 10 million.

2. Is the probability of winning the lotto the same for every game?

No, the probability of winning the lotto varies depending on the specific game and its rules. Some games have a higher number of possible combinations, making the probability of winning lower, while others have fewer combinations and a higher probability of winning.

3. How does the number of tickets purchased affect the probability of winning?

The more tickets you purchase, the higher your chances of winning. However, it does not guarantee a win as the probability for each individual ticket remains the same. Buying more tickets simply increases the number of possible combinations you have entered into the game.

4. Can the probability of winning the lotto be increased?

The probability of winning the lotto cannot be changed or manipulated. It is purely based on mathematical calculations and random chance. However, buying more tickets can increase your chances of winning.

5. What is the probability of winning the lotto jackpot?

The probability of winning the lotto jackpot varies depending on the specific game and its rules. For example, the probability of winning the Powerball jackpot is 1 in 292,201,338, while the probability of winning the Mega Millions jackpot is 1 in 302,575,350. The odds of winning the jackpot are generally very low, making it a rare occurrence.