Calculating the ratio between heat capacities of a gas

In summary, the task is to calculate the ratio (gamma) between the specific heats of a gas. The only information the user has is a table of data for the pressures and volumes of the gas at different temperatures. The user has been researching this for hours and has discovered that the ratio they need to find is gamma = Cp / Cv. The user has learned that Cp = Cv + R where R is the gas constant and that Cv = 3R/2 for a monatomic gas, 5R/2 for a diatomic gas and that Cp = 5R/2 for a monatomic gas, 7R/2 for a diatomic gas. However, the user has been unable to find
DoubleHelix
Hi, my task is to calculate the ratio (gamma) between the specific heats of a gas (Cp and Cv). The only information I have is a table of data for the pressures and volumes of the gas at different temperatures. I don't know if its monatomic, diatomic etc. (it's a later task to determine this).

My attempt so far. I've been researching this for hours and I've discovered that the ratio I need to find is gamma = Cp / Cv. I've learned that Cp = Cv + R where R is the gas constant and that Cv = 3R/2 for a monatomic gas, 5R/2 for a diatomic gas and that Cp = 5R/2 for a monatomic gas, 7R/2 for a diatomic gas but have been unable to find where these numbers come from! I also found a useful formula that
gamma = 1 + (R/Cv) so I only really need to find either Cv or Cp using my data to solve this question.

Thanks for any help.

Science news on Phys.org
What kind of transformation is the gas doing?

If it is diabatic, then you can find [tex]\gamma[/tex] from [tex]PV^{\gamma}=K[/tex], and then compare that value with the theoretical values of [tex]\frac{C_p}{C_v}[/tex] and find out what kind of molecule the gas is made of.

Here's an example for a monoatomic gas: It has 3 translational degrees of freedom, no rotation and no vibration, so [tex]N=3[/tex], and by the energy equipartition theorem you have a total energy of
[tex]U=n(3+0+0)\frac{1}{2}RT[/tex]
where n is the mole number.

In order to calculate [tex]C_v[/tex] you can prove that
[tex]C_v=\frac{1}{n}(\frac{dU}{dT})_{v=const}[/tex]
and because
[tex]C_p=C_v+R[/tex] you know the theoretical [tex]\gamma[/tex].

Likes gracy
After reading your reply I read through the question again and noticed that it mentions the the gas is undergoing adiabatic expansion in a later part of the question, I never read this far into the question before so I didn't realize. Would the relation you mentioned hold true for an adiabatic expansion? I'm going to do more research with this new found information!

Thanks a lot!

It holds for any adiabatic process,in other words, any process in which there is no heat exchange between the system and the surrounding universe.

Gunthi said:
What kind of transformation is the gas doing?

If it is diabatic, then you can find [tex]\gamma[/tex] from [tex]PV^{\gamma}=K[/tex], and then compare that value with the theoretical values of [tex]\frac{C_p}{C_v}[/tex] and find out what kind of molecule the gas is made of.

Here's an example for a monoatomic gas: It has 3 translational degrees of freedom, no rotation and no vibration, so [tex]N=3[/tex], and by the energy equipartition theorem you have a total energy of
[tex]U=n(3+0+0)\frac{1}{2}RT[/tex]
where n is the mole number.

In order to calculate [tex]C_v[/tex] you can prove that
[tex]C_v=\frac{1}{n}(\frac{dU}{dT})_{v=const}[/tex]
and because
[tex]C_p=C_v+R[/tex] you know the theoretical [tex]\gamma[/tex].

OK so I had a go at using the method you told me and, I did:
[tex]\frac{C_p}{C_v}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{C_v + R}{C_v}[/tex]
= [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{n}(\frac{dU}{dT}) + R}{\frac{1}{n}(\frac{dU}{dT})}[/tex]

And assumed (for now) that it is a monatomic gas to calculate a set of U values which I plotted against the T values and drew a trendline through these points to get the gradient. Now, I (wrongly) canceled the top and bottom n to get

[tex]\frac{C_p}{C_v}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{(\frac{dU}{dT}) + R}{(\frac{dU}{dT})}[/tex]

and substituted the values into get 1.66 which relates to H or He. However, as I stated I wrongly canceled the ns I think, or am I allowed the cancel the ns? This means n must equal 1 BUT it's a later part of the question to calculate n which is why I'm panicing a little! Also I assumed monatomic gas, is there no way to do this for a general case because it's also a later part of the question to determine if its monatomic/diatomic etc. lol. I have all the answers but in the wrong order!
Thanks a lot anyway, you've been a great help. Do you have any other ideas?

1. What is the formula for calculating the ratio between heat capacities of a gas?

The formula is γ = Cp/Cv, where γ is the ratio between heat capacities, Cp is the heat capacity at constant pressure, and Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume.

2. How is the ratio between heat capacities of a gas related to the gas's molecular structure?

The ratio between heat capacities is related to the gas's molecular structure because it reflects the degree of freedom of the gas molecules. Gases with more complex molecular structures have a higher degree of freedom and thus a higher ratio between heat capacities.

3. Can the ratio between heat capacities of a gas change?

Yes, the ratio between heat capacities can change depending on the gas's temperature, pressure, and molecular structure. For ideal gases, the ratio remains constant at 1.4, but for real gases, it may vary with different conditions.

4. How is the ratio between heat capacities of a gas measured experimentally?

The ratio between heat capacities can be measured experimentally using a calorimeter. The gas is subjected to different temperatures and pressures, and the heat capacity at constant pressure and volume is measured. The ratio is then calculated using the formula γ = Cp/Cv.

5. What is the significance of the ratio between heat capacities of a gas?

The ratio between heat capacities is significant because it helps in understanding the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is also used in thermodynamics to calculate the work and heat transfer of a gas. Furthermore, it is a crucial factor in the study of heat engines and their efficiency.