Calculating the Speed Needed for a Successful Motorcycle Jump Across a River

In summary, the motorcyclist's speed at the top of the takeoff ramp must be 10.61m/s to just make it to the edge of the far bank.
tentoes
Problem: A motorcyclist is about to jump across a river. The takeoff ramp is inclined at 53 degrees above the horizontal, the river is 40.0m wide, and the far bank is 15.0m lower than the top of the ramp. Ignore air resistance. What must the motorcyclist's speed be at the top of the ramp in order to just make it to the edge of the far bank?
So I know that in the x-direction: a=0, v=initial velocity * cos(53), position=Vi*cos(53)*t
and in the y direction: a=-9.8, V=-9.8*t+Vi*sin(53), position = -4.8t^2+Vi*sin(53)+15 (if "origin" here is (0, 15).So I'm missing time and initial velocity, but the equation for velocity in the x direction doesn't have t in it, so I know V=40/t, and so Vi=40/(t*cos(53)). Then I can plug that equation in for Vi in the y-position equation and solve for t (so I have t= √(((40*sin(53)/cos(53))+15)/4.8) so t=3.77 seconds, and plug that value into either velocity equation, and I get 10.61m/s. Only problem is, this is the wrong answer, and the correct one is 17.8m/s - so where am I going wrong here? I've looked at a couple of explanations of this problem not involving an overall change in y and I understand why this should work, but I've redone and gone over the problem multiple times now and there is no 17.8m/s to be found!

so I have t= √(((40*sin(53)/cos(53))+15)/4.8

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Correction - because I get (40*sin(53)*t)/cos(53)*t, the t's cancel so I didn't use my calculator, I used algebra. Which is generally where my errors enter!

4.9 m/s² ... and I think your velocity term didn't get its sign reversed.

Oops on the 4.9 - but even changing that my answer is still far from correct. Which velocity term do you mean? -4.9t^2 just goes on the other side and become positive so all terms are positive.

tentoes said:
so t=3.77 seconds, and plug that value into either velocity equation, and I get 10.61m/s.
I get t = 3.73, but even if I take t=3.77 and plug it into your Vi*cos(53)*t equation I get a number quite close to the answer. Please post all your working.

Aha! It's my algebra. I was using the original Vx = 40/t, but NOT using the entire expression, which is (40/t)/cos(53) = 17.63 I guess 40/t gives you the average velocity, but that is not equal to the initial velocity - right? I also tried plugging in t=3.77 back into the Vy equation, but I got a huge number - I'm not sure exactly why that wouldn't work, except that t=3.77 is the "zero" of that equation.

Thanks for your help - hopefully now that I know where I went wrong this type of question will seem as easy as it should be (since we're moving rapidly past this type of problem in class now.)

1. How does a "motorcycle jump with a twist" work?

A motorcycle jump with a twist is a stunt performed by professional motorcycle riders. It involves the rider launching their motorcycle off a ramp, performing a mid-air twist, and landing back on the ground. The twist is usually executed by the rider using their body weight and the handlebars to rotate the motorcycle in the air.

2. Is it dangerous to perform a "motorcycle jump with a twist"?

Yes, performing a motorcycle jump with a twist can be very dangerous. It requires a high level of skill, precision, and physical strength from the rider. If not executed properly, it can result in serious injuries or even death. It is important for riders to undergo extensive training and use proper safety equipment before attempting this stunt.

3. What type of motorcycle is used for a "motorcycle jump with a twist"?

Typically, a lightweight and powerful dirt bike or motocross bike is used for a motorcycle jump with a twist. These types of motorcycles have a high power-to-weight ratio, making them ideal for executing stunts. The suspension and frame of the bike are also modified to withstand the impact of the jump and landing.

4. How do professional riders prepare for a "motorcycle jump with a twist"?

Professional riders undergo intense physical training and practice for months before attempting a motorcycle jump with a twist. They also carefully plan and scout the location of the jump, taking into consideration factors such as wind direction, landing surface, and potential obstacles. Riders also use specialized protective gear, such as helmets, body armor, and padded suits, to minimize the risk of injury.

5. What are some common mistakes made during a "motorcycle jump with a twist"?

Some common mistakes made during a motorcycle jump with a twist include improper body positioning, incorrect throttle control, and poor timing. These mistakes can lead to loss of control in the air and result in a failed or dangerous landing. It is crucial for riders to have a thorough understanding of the technique and continuously practice to avoid these mistakes.