Calculating the Speed of a Ball Rolling Down a Hill

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a sphere and cube sliding down a hill with negligible friction. The cube is expected to slide down faster due to its shape, but both objects will experience a conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy, with a portion going towards rotation for the sphere. The conversation also touches on the use of calculus to calculate the velocity and time for the sphere to reach the bottom of the hill.
tummbacoco
So I know that given a unchanging hill, and same mass between a sphere and cube, that the cube should slide down the hill faster (assuming negligible friction). This is observed through the energy "lost" by the sphere which instead of having all of its potential energy transferred towards rolling down the hill, some goes to giving the ball rotation. Now I was wondering if there is anyway to calculate of how fast a ball would roll down a hill, only given gravity.

For example, a solid sphere (weighing 1kg with a radius of 1m) is on top of a hill that is 15m high with an slope of 30 degrees. How long will it take for the sphere to reach the bottom. Since this is an example problem an explanation is more helpful than an answer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tummbacoco said:
So I know that given a unchanging hill, and same mass between a sphere and cube, that the cube should slide down the hill faster (assuming negligible friction).
You've made contradictory assumptions about friction for the sphere and cube(the sphere can't roll unless there is friction). Do you really want to do that?

Likes the_valence_electron
If there is no friction the ball will not rotate either. However, a similar problem involves homogeneous balls and cylinders rolling without slipping vs hollow balls and cylinders doing the same. They have different moments of inertia and will therefore experience different accelerations, see this image from Wikipedia:
440px-Rolling_Racers_-_Moment_of_inertia.gif

Edit: Note that the red sphere is the hollow sphere...

Likes vanhees71 and BvU
You should realize that without friction, rolling does not originate.
So, let's assume enough friction to have 'no slipping'. In that case potential energy from gravity is converted to kinetic energy -- a part as translational and one part as rotational.
Do you know about angular velocity and rotational kinetic energy ?

BvU said:
You should realize that without friction, rolling does not originate.
So, let's assume enough friction to have 'no slipping'. In that case potential energy from gravity is converted to kinetic energy -- a part as translational and one part as rotational.
Do you know about angular velocity and rotational kinetic energy ?

Yea I'm familiar with them, and my problem was that I could calculate the amount of energy that went towards rotational kinetic energy. PE=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Lw^2 , and this makes sense when compared to a cube that isn't rotating so would have PE=1/2mv^2 . So my question is how slower would the ball accelerate compared to the cube? I could find out how fast the cube would slide down by finding gravity's component vector pushing it and integrate, but I can't do the same for the sphere because some energy goes towards rotating the sphere. Thats where I'm stuck

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
You've made contradictory assumptions about friction for the sphere and cube(the sphere can't roll unless there is friction). Do you really want to do that?

I'm new here and didn't really know how to word the question. It is assuming that there is static friction but that there is no kinetic friction.

tummbacoco said:
PE=1/2mv^2 + 1/2Lw^2

I'm assuming you meant to write I for moment of inertia and not L for angular momentum.

If you first find the moment of inertia of a sphere, which you could find through easy-ish calculus or just look up, you could use conservation of energy to find the final velocity quite easily. Remember that there's a simple relation between angular and linear velocity.

tummbacoco said:
I'm new here and didn't really know how to word the question. It is assuming that there is static friction but that there is no kinetic friction.

You could say there's static friction but not kinetic friction, or you could just say the kinetic friction is small enough for it to be considered negligible.

Yes, you can answer it, but I guess you'd need calculus... If you don't know calculus just skip to the "which gives us:" part in the end.
This is how I went through it:
Through conservation of energy we know that:

[tex]Pe = KE_T + KE_R [/tex]
At every point, so:
[tex]mgh = \frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{Iω^2}{2} [/tex]
[tex]I_{Sphere} = \frac{2}{5} mr^2[/tex]
and
[tex]ω=\frac{v}{r}[/tex]
So
[tex]mgh = \frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{mv^2}{5}[/tex]
giving us the velocity of the sphere at each hight covered:
[tex]v(h)=\sqrt{\frac{10}{7}gh}[/tex]

If it is a simple slope, you can parametrize the length [itex]s[/itex] of the ramp in terms of the hight:
[tex]\frac{h}{Sin(θ)}=s[/tex]
Since:
[tex]v(h) = \frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{ds}{dh}\frac{dh}{dt} = Csc(θ)\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]
So:
[tex]dt = Csc(θ)\frac{dh}{v(h)}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{t}dt' = Csc(θ)\int_{h_f}^{h_0}\frac{dh}{v(h)}[/tex] (Switched limits of h's because its going downwards)
[tex]\int_{0}^{t}dt' = Csc(θ)\int_{h_f}^{h_0}\frac{dh}{\sqrt{\frac{10}{7}gh}}[/tex]
which gives us:
[tex]t(h,θ) = Csc(θ)\sqrt{\frac{14}{5 g}}(\sqrt{h_0}-\sqrt{h_f})[/tex]

So, in your case, we'd get:
[tex]t(15,30°) = Csc(30°)\sqrt{\frac{14}{5\times9.81}}(\sqrt{15}-\sqrt{0})=4.13828s[/tex]
Which is considerably slower then a block sliding down the same ramp, which would take [itex]2.4731s[/itex]

PS: This has got to be one of the pretties solutions I've ever came up without of the blue, kind of proud of myself :biggrin:

Last edited:
Well, I used a different method, but we got the same result.

We found that ##v= \sqrt { \frac {10gh} {7}}## using the same method.

I then used two kinematic equations to solve for time:

##v^2_f=v^2_i+2ad⇒a=\frac {v^2_f} {2d}##
##v_f=v_i+at⇒t=\frac {2d} {v_f}##

Plugging in the final velocity and then plugging in the values gave me 4.318 seconds as well.

Likes abilolado
person123 said:
Well, I used a different method, but we got the same result.

We both agree that ##v= \sqrt { \frac {10gh} {7}}##

I then used two kinematic equations to solve for time:

##v^2_f=v^2_i+2ad⇒a=\frac {v^2_f} {2d}##
##v_f=v_i+at⇒t=\frac {2d} {v_f}##

Plugging in the final velocity and then plugging in the values gave me 4.318 seconds as well.

Unfortunately I don't think doing like that works, since [itex]v[/itex] is the total speed, not just the speed in the y direction, so it won't work by just plugging in the formula, since the formula only works for one dimension at a time.
Also, it's got to be dependent on the angle of the ramp, since going down 15m on a steep slope is much faster then in a shallow slope, and an angle of 0 would give back an infinite time (since there'd be no slope).

abilolado said:
Unfortunately I don't think doing like that works, since vvv is the total speed, not just the speed in the y direction, so it won't work by just plugging in the formula, since the formula only works for one dimension at a time.

The equation works as long as the acceleration is constant. If I know the initial velocity, the final velocity, and the displacement, and I know the acceleration is constant, I can find the acceleration; it doesn't matter what direction it's in.

abilolado said:
Also, it's got to be dependent on the angle of the ramp, since going down 15m on a steep slope is much faster then in a shallow slope, and an angle of 0 would give back an infinite time (since there'd be no slope).

The equation I derived is dependent on distance the ball travels and height of the ramp, so therefore the angle.

Likes abilolado
person123 said:
The equation works as long as the acceleration is constant.
The equation I derived is dependent on distance the ball travels and height of the ramp, so therefore the angle.

You're right! My bad.
Damn, all that calculus for nothing

and now I realize
[tex]Csc(θ) \sqrt{\frac{14}{5g}}(\sqrt{h})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{s}{h}\sqrt{\frac{14}{5g}}(\sqrt{h})[/tex]
[tex]s\sqrt{\frac{14}{5gh}}[/tex]
[tex]2s\sqrt{\frac{14}{20gh}}[/tex]
[tex]2s\sqrt{\frac{7}{10gh}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2s}{\sqrt{\frac{10gh}{7}}}[/tex]
Exact same thing... damn...
Well, at least it was fun deriving the whole thing :biggrin:

abilolado said:
You're right! My bad.
Damn, all that calculus for nothing
If you take into account the work required to derive the equations I used, our methods are probably about as fast.

I still have to often avoid using calculus because I've yet to receive a formal education on it (I have to wait until next year for that).

Likes abilolado

1. What factors affect the speed of a ball rolling down a hill?

The speed of a ball rolling down a hill is affected by the steepness of the hill, the weight and shape of the ball, and the surface it is rolling on. Gravity also plays a major role in determining the speed.

2. Can a ball ever roll up a hill?

In most cases, no. A ball will only roll up a hill if there is enough force pushing it up, such as a strong wind or a person pushing it.

3. How does the surface affect the distance a ball travels when rolling down a hill?

The surface can greatly affect the distance a ball travels when rolling down a hill. A smooth surface will result in a longer distance traveled, while a rough or uneven surface will cause the ball to slow down and not roll as far.

4. What is the relationship between the height of a hill and the speed of a ball rolling down it?

The higher the hill, the faster the ball will roll down it. This is due to the increased potential energy the ball has at a higher height, which is converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down.

5. Can a ball ever reach a constant speed when rolling down a hill?

Yes, a ball can reach a constant speed when rolling down a hill. This occurs when the force of gravity pulling the ball down is equal to the force of friction and air resistance pushing back against it. At this point, the ball will continue to roll at a constant speed until it reaches the bottom of the hill.