Calculating the wavelength for series limit for the Paschen series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 22K views
vanabariel42
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi. I'm having some trouble calculating the wavelength for series limit for the Paschen series.
I've set the Rydberg equation up with 1/(n sub f squared) as 1/(3 squared), but I'm not sure what goes in for 1/(n sub i squared) as the initial position.
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Paschen series describes transitions from a higher level down to n = 3. So [itex]n_f = 3[/itex] and [itex]n_i > 3[/itex]
 
That I know, but what number corresponds to the series limit? Some places said 14, others said 12, and others infinity. I'm not sure how to use infinity in a calculation though.
 
vanabariel42 said:
That I know, but what number corresponds to the series limit? Some places said 14, others said 12, and others infinity.
That you're asking this question means you do not understand what is meant by the term "series limit". Please make sure you understand what it means. If not, ask and find out.