Calculating the wavelength for series limit for the Paschen series

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wavelength for the Paschen series, specifically the series limit. The Rydberg equation is used with n_f = 3 and n_i > 3. The concept of infinity is also mentioned and clarified. It is suggested to understand the term "series limit" before proceeding with the calculation.
vanabariel42
Hi. I'm having some trouble calculating the wavelength for series limit for the Paschen series.
I've set the Rydberg equation up with 1/(n sub f squared) as 1/(3 squared), but I'm not sure what goes in for 1/(n sub i squared) as the initial position.
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Paschen series describes transitions from a higher level down to n = 3. So [itex]n_f = 3[/itex] and [itex]n_i > 3[/itex]

That I know, but what number corresponds to the series limit? Some places said 14, others said 12, and others infinity. I'm not sure how to use infinity in a calculation though.

Lucky for you all you need to use is 1/infinity. What's that? :wink:

that's a good question.

Try this:
[tex]\frac{1}{\infty} = 0[/tex]

vanabariel42 said:
That I know, but what number corresponds to the series limit? Some places said 14, others said 12, and others infinity.
That you're asking this question means you do not understand what is meant by the term "series limit". Please make sure you understand what it means. If not, ask and find out.

1. What is the Paschen series?

The Paschen series is a series of spectral lines in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum that are emitted by hydrogen atoms when excited electrons fall from higher energy levels to the n=3 energy level.

2. What is the series limit for the Paschen series?

The series limit for the Paschen series is the shortest wavelength that can be emitted by a hydrogen atom in the series. It corresponds to the transition of an electron from the n=∞ energy level to the n=3 energy level.

3. How is the series limit calculated?

The series limit can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which is 1/λ = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2), where λ is the wavelength, R is the Rydberg constant, and n1 and n2 are the energy levels of the electron before and after the transition, respectively.

4. What is the value of the Rydberg constant for the Paschen series?

The value of the Rydberg constant for the Paschen series is 1.097 x 10^7 m^-1.

5. Can the series limit for the Paschen series be observed in real life?

No, the series limit for the Paschen series falls in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is not visible to the human eye. However, it can be observed using specialized instruments such as infrared telescopes and spectrometers.