1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the wavelength for series limit for the Paschen series

1. Sep 9, 2006 #1
    Hi. I'm having some trouble calculating the wavelength for series limit for the Paschen series.
    I've set the Rydberg equation up with 1/(n sub f squared) as 1/(3 squared), but I'm not sure what goes in for 1/(n sub i squared) as the initial position.
    I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The Paschen series describes transitions from a higher level down to n = 3. So [itex]n_f = 3[/itex] and [itex]n_i > 3[/itex]

4. Sep 9, 2006 #3
    That I know, but what number corresponds to the series limit? Some places said 14, others said 12, and others infinity. I'm not sure how to use infinity in a calculation though.

5. Sep 9, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Lucky for you all you need to use is 1/infinity. What's that? :wink:

6. Sep 9, 2006 #5
    that's a good question.

7. Sep 10, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Try this:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\infty} = 0[/tex]

8. Sep 10, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That you're asking this question means you do not understand what is meant by the term "series limit". Please make sure you understand what it means. If not, ask and find out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?