Calculating the Wind Speed Needed for a Weightless Building on Titan

In summary, a question is posed about the required wind speed for a building on Saturn's moon Titan to become "weightless". The solution may involve using the basic lift equation and estimating the coefficient of lift for the building.
nickr917
I think this is a pretty simple question but I can't seem to figure it out:

If there is a 90,000 kg building (20 m deep, 10 m long, and 10 m wide) on the surface of Saturns moon, Titan, how fast does wind have to blow over the top to have the structure become "weightless" (the air below the structre isn't movng).

(Titan Data: Atmospheric density: 5.38 kg/m3 Gravity: 1.37 N/kg)

Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the easiest way to think of this one would be to use the basic lift equation. The tough part would be estimating the coefficient of lift for the building.

Thats exactly what I thought but I have no idea how I would determine that. Anyone have any other ideas?

1. What is lift caused by air flow?

Lift caused by air flow is the upward force generated on an object due to the movement of air around it. In simple terms, it is the force that allows an airplane to stay in the air.

2. How is lift caused by air flow created?

Lift is created by the difference in air pressure between the top and bottom surfaces of an object, such as an airplane wing. As air flows over the curved shape of the wing, it creates an area of lower pressure on top and higher pressure on the bottom, resulting in an upward force.

3. What is the relationship between air speed and lift?

The greater the air speed, the greater the lift force. This is because faster air flow creates a bigger difference in pressure between the top and bottom surfaces of an object, resulting in a stronger lifting force.

4. How does the shape of an object affect lift caused by air flow?

The shape of an object, particularly its curvature, greatly affects the amount of lift it can generate. A curved shape, like that of an airplane wing, creates more lift than a flat shape because it allows for greater differences in air pressure.

5. Can lift caused by air flow be controlled?

Yes, lift can be controlled by changing the angle of attack (the angle at which an object meets the oncoming air) and the shape of the object. This is how pilots are able to control the lift on an airplane and make it ascend or descend.