Calculating thermal resistance across a metal flange

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation for thermal resistance in engineering designs. The equation includes L, the resistance path length, A, the cross-sectional area, and k, the thermal conductivity of the material. The individual encountered an issue when trying to calculate resistance for heat traveling radially through a metal flange. They attempted to set up an integral using polar coordinates, but were unsure of the correct approach and the resulting units. After further research, they found the correct expression for radial systems on Wikipedia and determined the appropriate resistance to be ln(r1/r0)/2πkh.
soothsayer
I've been using the following equation for thermal resistance to make basic calculations for a few different engineering designs: $$R_t = \frac{L}{kA} $$
Where L is the resistance path length, A is the cross-sectional area perpendicular to this path and k is the thermal conductivity of the material (in my case, it is 21.4 W/m⋅K). I ran into an issue with calculating resistance for heat traveling from the inside diameter of a metal flange to the outside. This flange is essentially a large, thin washer, with ID 1.13", OD 1.90" and a thickness of .060". With everything else I was doing, my L was linear, and my A was constant, or at least made up of a finite number of constant areas that could be added in series. If I was calculating the thermal resistance through the axial direction of this flange, it would be a simple task, but as I was trying to calculate it radially, I figured I needed to integrate Rt from the inside radius surface to the outside radius surface, but I think my difficulty has been in setting up the correct integral.

I know that the cross sectional area at a given radius is essentially that of a cylinder: circumference x height, and I assumed that since I was trying to integrate from the inner radius (.565") to the outer (.950") that the integral would be in polar coordinates, giving me:
$$R_t = \int_{r_0}^{r_1}\frac{L (rdr)}{k (2\pi rh)} $$
where h is the thickness (.060") and L is the difference between my inner and outer radius (.385"). Everything moves to the outside of the integral except rdr/r, which leaves me simply with a factor of r after integration, which is evaluated between the inside and outside radius. This is the same thing as my L, so my resistance would seem to be ##R_t = L^2/2\pi kh ##, and this evaluates to 0.724 K/W (once I converted my k value to 0.543 W/in⋅K). The problem with this answer is twofold: for one, I was unsure how to analyze the dimensionality of my final R expression, since I had done integration, but on the surface, it doesn't lead to units of K/W. Secondly, while the final number seems more or less appropriate, a calculation of R assuming a constant cross sectional area of .358in2 (the area at the outermost radius) gave me a minimum possible R value of 1.98 K/W, even higher than what I got.

I then considered that since my L was simply r1-r0, I may need to turn it into an additional r term in the integrand numerator, giving me $$R_t = \frac{1}{2\pi kh}\int_{r_0}^{r_1}\frac{r^2 dr}{r} $$
Which evaluates to ##R_t = ({r_1}^2 -{r_0}^2)/4\pi kh ##, leaving me with 1.42 K/W--closer, but still below the minimum value.

At this point, I am wondering if I am way off on my attempts to set up an integral, since my dimensions don't appear to match up. Additionally, I'm not sure I should be using polar coordinates in this case, or if my underlying R = L/kA formula is even applicable in this scenario. Would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with this!

[Update]: Interestingly, an R expression of ##[ln(r_1) -ln(r_0)]/2 \pi kh ## gives me the correct units and a realistic answer of 2.54 K/W, but that would require a 1/r term in my integrand, and I don't see why that would be appropriate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is thermal resistance?

Thermal resistance is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of heat. It is the ratio of the temperature difference across a material to the rate of heat transfer through the material.

2. How is thermal resistance calculated?

Thermal resistance is calculated by dividing the thickness of the material by its thermal conductivity. The resulting value is then multiplied by the area of the material to get the overall thermal resistance.

3. Why is it important to calculate thermal resistance across a metal flange?

A metal flange is often used to connect two pieces of equipment or piping in a system. If the thermal resistance across the flange is too high, it can lead to inefficiencies in heat transfer and potential damage to the equipment.

4. What factors can affect the thermal resistance across a metal flange?

The thickness and thermal conductivity of the flange material are the main factors that affect thermal resistance. Other factors such as surface roughness, surface area, and contact pressure can also impact the thermal resistance.

5. How can the thermal resistance across a metal flange be reduced?

The thermal resistance across a metal flange can be reduced by using materials with higher thermal conductivity, increasing the surface area of the flange, and ensuring proper contact pressure between the flange and the connected surfaces. Additionally, using thermal interface materials such as thermal paste or pads can also help to reduce thermal resistance.