Calculating time in a logarithmic scale

In summary, The conversation involves a question about logarithmic sampling and the need to review Z-transforms. The reason for this is to automate equipment that records data over time, but with a logarithmic sampling method. The question is how to calculate the next sample time with an interval of 1s. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using numbers that are equidistant on a logarithmic scale, such as 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 1, 10, 100, 1000, 10000.
Natalie89
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about logarithmic sampling. I think I might have to go and review my Z-transforms, but maybe not.

The reason I am doing this is because I am automating equipment which records the data over time, but I want the sampling to be done logarithmically.

If I have an internal of 1s, and I want to sample logarithmically (is that a word?), how do I calculate the next sample time?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have all the freedom you want, but is it really what you want ?
For example: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, ... would be equidistant on a time scale that is plotted logarihmically. But so would
1, 10, 100, 1000, 10000, ...

What is a logarithmic scale?

A logarithmic scale is a way of representing data on a graph where the distance between numbers on the scale increases exponentially. This means that each increment on the scale represents a multiplication by a certain factor, rather than a fixed increase like on a linear scale.

Why is it useful to calculate time in a logarithmic scale?

Calculating time in a logarithmic scale can be useful in situations where there is a large range of values and you want to show the relative changes over time. It also allows for more accurate representation of data that has both large and small values.

How do you convert time to a logarithmic scale?

To convert time to a logarithmic scale, you need to first determine the base of the scale. This is typically done by finding the ratio between the largest and smallest values on your data. Then, you can use a logarithmic function to calculate the value for each time point on the scale.

What are the benefits of using a logarithmic scale for time?

Using a logarithmic scale for time allows for easier visualization and interpretation of data with a wide range of values. It also helps to highlight changes in the data over time, rather than just absolute values.

Are there any limitations to using a logarithmic scale for time?

One limitation of using a logarithmic scale for time is that it can be more difficult for individuals to interpret, as it is not as commonly used as a linear scale. It may also not be appropriate for all types of data, as it can distort the true magnitude of changes over time.