Calculating Total Internal Energy of a System in Thermal Equilibrium

In summary, the system in thermal equilibrium has the total internal energy of EI = NΔE/1+ exp(ΔE/k_BT).
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a system in thermal equilibrium consisting of N particles that have 2 energy states E1 and E2 separated by an energy ΔE.

Given that $$N_1 = \frac{N}{exp(-ΔE/k_BT)},\,\,N_2 = \frac{N exp(-ΔE/k_BT)}{1+exp(-ΔE/k_BT)}$$ show that in the case of the lowest energy state having energy = 0, that the total internal energy of the system is $$E_I = \frac{NΔE}{1 + exp(ΔE/k_BT)}.$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of this question asked to show that N1 and N2 are indeed representations of the number of particles in each energy state. I think I have this, but I don't know how to prove the above. I said that most likely N2 represents the number of particles in the lowest energy state and everywhere I replaced ΔE = E1. (since E2=0)

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone any ideas?

Are you sure you copied the expressions for N1 and N2 correctly? ehild

ehild said:
Are you sure you copied the expressions for N1 and N2 correctly?

ehild
Yes, what appears wrong?

CAF123 said:
Yes, what appears wrong?

If you add N1 + N2 you should get the total number of particles N. But you can see that your expressions won't produce that. So, you must have copied something incorrectly (easy to do). Hint:The denominators of N1 and N2 should be the same.

TSny said:
If you add N1 + N2 you should get the total number of particles N. But you can see that your expressions won't produce that. So, you must have copied something incorrectly (easy to do). Hint:The denominators of N1 and N2 should be the same.

So sorry, the expression for N1 should have denominator 1+ exp(..) instead of just exp(..)

CAF123 said:
I said that most likely N2 represents the number of particles in the lowest energy state and everywhere I replaced ΔE = E1. (since E2=0)

E1 should represent the lower energy (E = 0) and E2 should represent the higher energy (E = ΔE).

The thought process for finding the total energy is the same as for the following question. If you had 7 boxes that each weighed 10 N and 5 boxes that each weighed 20 N, what would be the total weight of all the boxes? You just need to use your expressions in place of the numbers and then simplify.

TSny said:
E1 should represent the lower energy (E = 0) and E2 should represent the higher energy (E = ΔE).

Why is this the case? Is it just the case that it is likely that more atoms will have non zero energy?

The thought process for finding the total energy is the same as for the following question. If you had 7 boxes that each weighed 10 N and 5 boxes that each weighed 20 N, what would be the total weight of all the boxes? You just need to use your expressions in place of the numbers and then simplify.

We have N2 molecules each with energy E => total energy is N2E = NE exp(-..)/(1+ exp(-..). Multiply top/bottom by exp(+..) and I get the result.

1. What is a system in thermal equilibrium?

A system in thermal equilibrium is a state in which the temperature of the system remains constant and there is no net transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the system's internal energy is also constant.

2. How is thermal equilibrium achieved?

Thermal equilibrium is achieved when the temperatures of two or more systems that are in contact with each other are equal. This can occur through the transfer of heat between the systems until their temperatures are equal.

3. What is the significance of thermal equilibrium in thermodynamics?

Thermal equilibrium is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, as it allows for the definition of temperature and the development of the laws of thermodynamics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding thermodynamic processes and the behavior of various systems.

4. Can a system be in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings?

Yes, a system can be in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings if there is no net transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. This can only occur if the temperatures of the system and its surroundings are equal.

5. How is thermal equilibrium different from thermal isolation?

Thermal equilibrium refers to a state where the temperature of a system remains constant and there is no net transfer of heat, while thermal isolation refers to a state where there is no transfer of heat between a system and its surroundings. In thermal isolation, the system's temperature may change, but there is no exchange of heat with the surroundings.