Calculating Vectors: Help Needed for Test - Pamela

• Thread starter ppacc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: Regarding your notation, the base vectors would be <4, -1, -3> and the components would be <1, 1, 1>. To find the vector in the direction of a given vector S, just divide S by its length (|S|):
ppacc
Please Help! I just don’t get it and I’ve been studying for hours.

Question :
Knowing that Vectors C = (4x-1y-3z) meters and D=(2x-3y-5x) meters
Determine
a. S=C-D
b. │S
c. The Unitary vector in the direction of S

My Prof has given us a test one week after the first class and I just don’t get these study questions. I can add and multiply vectots but this stuff I just don’t get and there is no one to help.

If anyone out there can help you’ll really be appreciated

Pamela

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get your notation. What are the base-vectors describing the directions ?

Something like 6e_x + 7e_y. The e_x and e_y denote the x and y direction and these are the base-vectors. 6 and 7 are the components so this vector may also be written as (6,7).

When adding or substracting just add or substract all components per direction. So for example (7,8) - (1,1) yields (6,7) or 6e_x + 7e_y

Multiplying means multiply the components per direction and add up the outcomes: so this means (7,8)*(1,2) = 7*1 + 8*2 = 7+16=23

If you take the squareroot of this you get the length of a vector = sqrt(23) like your question b.

But first of all you need to know the components per direction. What are these j and m?
Are you sure you got the notation right? Just wondering

regards
marlon

Changes

Thanks Marlon I made the changes by editing my post. Maybe now my question is easier to understant

Pamela

ppacc said:
Please Help! I just don’t get it and I’ve been studying for hours.

Question :
Knowing that Vectors C = (4x-1y-3z) meters and D=(2x-3y-5x)

So you have (4,-1,-3) and (-3,-3,0)

I think you are able to continue right now. Just do what a answered in the first post

marlon

for example a would be (7,2,-3) or S =7x + 2y - 3z

regards
marlon

It is more common to use i, j, and k where you are using x, y, z but I think I understand what you mean:

C = (4x-1y-3z) is what I would call 4i-1j-3k or, more simply just <4, -1, -3> where the basis vectors are understood to be in the x, y, z, directions.

So, C= <4, -1, -3> and D= <2, -3, -5>. Surely your text bood mentions early that vectors written in "component" form can be added and subtracted just by working with each "component" separately. S= C- D is simply <4- 2, -1-(-3),-3-(-5)> =
<2, 2, 2>.

The length of a vector comes from the Pythagorean theorem: [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 2^2+ 2^2}= \sqrt{12}= 2\sqrt{3}[/itex].

A "unitary" vector (I would say "unit" vector) in a given direction is a vector of length 1 in that direction. In particular, for any vector S, to find a unit vector in the same direction, just divide S by its length: S/|S| which is, again, done component by component. In this problem, since S= <2, 2, 2> and |S|= [itex]2\sqrt{3}[/itex], The unit vector in the direction of S would be [itex] \frac{<2, 2, 2>}{2\sqrt{3}}[/itex].
That is, of course, [itex]\{\frac{1}{\sqrt{3},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}>[/itex]. It is in the same direction as S simply because it has all components the same and its length is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}}= 1[/itex].

Isn't the second vector 2x-3y-5x? Or is it 2x-3y-5z. In that case my previous answer is not true. Then you would have (4,-1,-3) - (2,-3,-5)=(2,2,2)

marlon

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. In other words, if a vector has components (x,y,z), its magnitude would be √(x² + y² + z²).

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, time, and mass, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram law or the head-to-tail method. In the parallelogram law, you draw a parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides, and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum or difference of the two vectors. In the head-to-tail method, you draw the first vector, and then draw the second vector starting from the end of the first vector. The sum or difference of the two vectors is the vector that starts from the beginning of the first vector and ends at the end of the second vector.

How can vectors be used in real life?

Vectors have many practical applications in real life, including navigation (using vectors to represent direction and distance), physics (using vectors to represent forces and motion), and computer graphics (using vectors to create 3D models). They are also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and economics.