Calculating Vehicle Speed and Acceleration Curve: A Guide for Game Programmers

In summary, you can calculate the car's speed by using a constant engine force and drag force in balance, as well as the time it takes to reach 60 mph.
pacificapilot
I am programming a game in which there are no outside forces acting on the car aside from the engine. I will not be having gears, so that is not a factor. I just want to know if there is an equation I can use to calculate the car's speed at any given time. The car will start off accelerating quickly, but then as it approaches top speed, it will accelerate slower and slower until it reaches top speed. Also, finding the car's 0-60 time is easy, just a google search, but because of this curve, that does not give me the original speed. Is there a way to figure that out?

The car's stats are:
0-60 in 4.5 seconds
Top Speed: 155 MPH

Please show your steps so that I can replicate it for the other car types in my project.

Physics news on Phys.org
pacificapilot said:
The car will start off accelerating quickly, but then as it approaches top speed, it will accelerate slower and slower until it reaches top speed.
That may depend on how it accelerates or decelerates. So, if you want to accurately get the speed of any time, the change of acceleration should also be given.

pacificapilot said:
Also, finding the car's 0-60 time is easy, just a google search, but because of this curve, that does not give me the original speed. Is there a way to figure that out?

The car's stats are:
0-60 in 4.5 seconds
Top Speed: 155 MPH

Please show your steps so that I can replicate it for the other car types in my project.

What do you mean by the original speed?

Use a constant engine force Fe opposed by a drag force Cd * velocity2. Since the top speed is 155, you know that the engine force and drag force are in balance at 155 mph. So Fe-Cd*1552 = 0. and Cd = Fe/(1552). You also know the time to 60 is 4.5. So the second integral of (Fe - Cd*velocity2) = Fe * (1-(velocity/155)2 over 4.5 seconds is 60. You can calculate Fe and then Cd from that.

PS. The zero to 60 mph times from Google searches are certainly for a standing start.

Likes pacificapilot
SteamKing said:
What do you mean by the original speed?
Original as in the starting speed, which, in this case, is 0 mph

FactChecker said:
Use a constant engine force Fe opposed by a drag force Cd * velocity2. Since the top speed is 155, you know that the engine force and drag force are in balance at 155 mph. So Fe-Cd*1552 = 0. and Cd = Fe/(1552). You also know the time to 60 is 4.5. So the second integral of (Fe - Cd*velocity2) = Fe * (1-(velocity/155)2 over 4.5 seconds is 60. You can calculate Fe and then Cd from that.

PS. The zero to 60 mph times from Google searches are certainly for a standing start.
Thanks!

1. What is a vehicle acceleration curve?

A vehicle acceleration curve is a graphical representation of the acceleration of a vehicle over time. It shows how the velocity of the vehicle changes as it accelerates from a standstill to its maximum speed.

2. How is a vehicle acceleration curve measured?

A vehicle acceleration curve is typically measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures the vehicle's acceleration in terms of g-forces. The data is then plotted on a graph to create the acceleration curve.

3. What factors affect a vehicle's acceleration curve?

Several factors can affect a vehicle's acceleration curve, including the weight and size of the vehicle, the engine power and torque, the type of transmission, and the road conditions.

4. Why is the vehicle acceleration curve important?

The vehicle acceleration curve provides important information about a vehicle's performance and can be used to compare different vehicles. It also helps engineers and designers optimize a vehicle's acceleration for safety and efficiency.

5. How can the vehicle acceleration curve be used in real-world applications?

The vehicle acceleration curve can be used in various real-world applications, such as designing and testing new vehicles, analyzing and improving fuel efficiency, and predicting the performance of a vehicle in different driving conditions.