Calculating Velocity of a Cannonball at a Given Height

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for the velocity of a cannonball at a height of 100m when it is shot upward with an initial velocity of 50m/s. The height of the cannonball is represented by a quadratic equation, and the proper way to solve for the velocity is by using algebra rather than trial and error. The conversation also mentions the importance of taking a break and coming back to the problem with fresh eyes.
cptstubing

Homework Statement

A Cannonball is shot upward from the ground into the air at t=0 sec. With initial velocity of 50m/s. Its height above the ground in metres is given by s(t)=50t-4.9t^2 .
----What is the velocity of the cannonball when it is 100m above the ground on the way up?
"says the book" Hint: set s(t) = 100

Homework Equations

initial velocity = 50 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want the answer, I just want to know how it is worked out, because I know how to do it by trial and error.
If I set s(t)=100 like the book says, then 100=50t-4.9t^2
I can't solve this equation without knowing t, am I right?
Anyhow, by trial and error, i figured out t=2.73, and I think velocity at 100m = 36.5m/s...
But what is the proper way to do this without using trial and error like I did?

ie.
The question I should ask myself first is what?
1. What is t at 100m?
2. Velocity = ? at 100m?

Physics news on Phys.org
cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

A Cannonball is shot upward from the ground into the air at t=0 sec. With initial velocity of 50m/s. Its height above the ground in metres is given by s(t)=50t-4.9t^2 .
----What is the velocity of the cannonball when it is 100m above the ground on the way up?
"says the book" Hint: set s(t) = 100

Homework Equations

initial velocity = 50 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want the answer, I just want to know how it is worked out, because I know how to do it by trial and error.
If I set s(t)=100 like the book says, then 100=50t-4.9t^2
I can't solve this equation without knowing t, am I right?
Wrong. In fact, to find the time, t, at which the cannon ball is 100m above the ground, you need to solve this.

It's a quadratic equation.
Anyhow, by trial and error, i figured out t=2.73, and I think velocity at 100m = 36.5m/s...
But what is the proper way to do this without using trial and error like I did?

ie.
The question I should ask myself first is what?
1. What is t at 100m?
2. Velocity = ? at 100m?

I think you deserve credit for solving by trial and improvement. I often do this myself when I can't see a simple analytic solution.

As Sammy says, it is a quadratic equation, so it's just a maths issue to solve it.

WikiP explains it here

Likes SammyS
Thanks to all for the help.
I actually figured this out very quickly after a relaxing weekend.
Fresh eyes matter.
On a side note, whoever moved this thread from the 'Pre-calculus Math' section and into 'Introductory Physics Homework' section, really bruised my ego!

cptstubing said:
On a side note, whoever moved this thread from the 'Pre-calculus Math' section and into 'Introductory Physics Homework' section, really bruised my ego!

You'll get over it. :wink:

Related to Calculating Velocity of a Cannonball at a Given Height

1. What is a cannonball question?

A cannonball question is a type of question that is designed to provoke deep thought and discussion by challenging conventional thinking and assumptions.

2. How can I come up with a good cannonball question?

To come up with a good cannonball question, start by identifying a topic or issue that you feel passionate about or have a strong opinion on. Then, think of a statement or belief related to that topic that you want to challenge or explore further.

3. What makes a cannonball question effective?

An effective cannonball question should be thought-provoking, open-ended, and relevant to the topic at hand. It should also encourage critical thinking and promote discussion and debate.

4. What are some examples of cannonball questions?

Examples of cannonball questions could include "Is it possible to truly understand someone else's perspective?" or "Are traditional gender roles still relevant in modern society?" These questions challenge widely accepted beliefs and can lead to insightful conversations.

5. How can I use cannonball questions in my scientific research?

Cannonball questions can be a useful tool in scientific research as they can help identify gaps in knowledge or challenge existing theories. They can also spark new ideas and avenues for further exploration. However, it is important to ensure that the questions are relevant and appropriate for the research topic.