Calculating Velocity of a Collar Released from a Depressed Spring

• Thread starter Jason03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving finding the speed at point B after a collar is shot up by releasing a depressed spring. The method discussed involves using conservation of energy and balancing equations. The correct answer is 5.18 ft/s, but the individual is having trouble getting the same result.
Jason03
Physics news on Phys.org
Jason03 said:
First off I want to make sure I am understanding the question. Is it asking to find the speed at B after the collar is shot up by releasing the spring that was depressed 1.5 in.?
Yes.
Jason03 said:
And if that is correct, I am trying to figure how to balance the equations incorporating the depressed spring...
You can find the velocity after the collar has left the spring by using conservation of energy.

I understand that I need to use conservation of energy but the spring is not at rest...so would this work?

.5kx^2 = .5mv^2 + .5kx^2
(x,1) ( x,2)

and would the velocity be v^2 = a*r

Last edited:
Jason03 said:
I understand that I need to use conservation of energy but the spring is not at rest...so would this work?

.5kx^2 = .5mv^2 + .5kx^2
(x,1) ( x,2)
Yes that is correct, but notice that when the collar leaves the spring x=0 (i.e. the spring is completely uncompressed).

ok i calculated the numbers and came up with v = 31.12...however I noticed when i divide 31.12 by the Weight of 6 oz. ... i come up with 5.18 which is the answer in the back of the book...but that doesn't make sense to me...ounces needs to be converted...

Why would you want to divide the speed by the weight?

no that's what i meant that it made no sense...im just trying to figure why i came up with 31 and the answer is 5.18 ft/s

Jason03 said:
no that's what i meant that it made no sense...im just trying to figure why i came up with 31 and the answer is 5.18 ft/s
Thus far you have only calculated the speed at which the collar leaves the spring, not the speed of the collar at point B. Which is what the question asks for.

ok, so than I could come up with another equ.

.5mv^2 = .5mv*2 + mgh

and plug in the V I found on the left side of the equ.

but for finding V on the right side of the equation do I need to take into consideration the radius of curvature, such as tangential or normal components..

Jason03 said:
ok, so than I could come up with another equ.

.5mv^2 = .5mv*2 + mgh

and plug in the V I found on the left side of the equ.
Looks good to me :approve:
Jason03 said:
but for finding V on the right side of the equation do I need to take into consideration the radius of curvature, such as tangential or normal components..
No, since we are using conservation of energy, which is a scalar, direction doesn't matter. We are only interested in the speed.

i realized when I did the first calculation with 1.5 inches for x that I didnt convert to feet...so i converted that as well as everything else...so i get a V of 2.55 ft/s...thats the collar leaving the spring

so mass = .012
10 in. = .833 ft
1.5 in, = .125ft

i plugged into the equ.

.5(.012)(2.55)^2 = .5(.012)(V)^2 + .012(32.2)(.833)

.039 = .006v^2 + .321

V is supposed to be 5.18 but its not quite coming out...

1. How does a spring store and release energy?

A spring stores energy by being compressed or stretched. When a force is applied to compress or stretch the spring, the molecules within the spring deform and store potential energy. This potential energy is then released when the force is removed, causing the spring to return to its original shape.

2. What is the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement?

According to Hooke's Law, the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the resulting displacement. This means that the more force is applied to a spring, the greater the displacement of the spring will be.

3. How does the spring constant affect the energy stored in a spring?

The spring constant, represented by the letter "k", determines the stiffness of a spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and requires more force to compress or stretch it. This also means that the spring will store more potential energy when compressed or stretched compared to a spring with a lower spring constant.

4. Can a spring have negative potential energy?

No, a spring cannot have negative potential energy. Potential energy is a measure of the energy stored in a system, and it cannot be negative. However, a spring can have a negative displacement, meaning it has been stretched beyond its natural length, but the potential energy will still be positive.

5. How is the work done on a spring related to its potential energy?

The work done on a spring is equal to the change in its potential energy. This means that when work is done on a spring, its potential energy will increase. Similarly, when work is done by a spring, its potential energy will decrease.