1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating volume flow rate per unit width of a plate ( Fluid Mechanics )

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    This is the question

The flow of a fluid between two large flat parallel plates normal to the y direction is fully developed and steady. The plates are a distance 2h apart in the y direction and the velocity profile, assuming y=0 is at the midpoint between the plate is V(y) = V_0(1-(y/h)^2) where V_0 is the centreline velocity. Derive equations for volume flow rate per unit width of the plate and the shear stress at the wall. Sketch and explain your shear stress result.

I know that d(...)/dx and d(...)/dt are zero since the flow is fully developed and steady.

also Volume flow = velocity x area.

how do i use this information to get the answer?

Im stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2012 #2
    you can try integrating with respect to y giving the area under the curve, right? while setting the limits properly. I'm sure you know shear stress = mu*(dV/dy)

also, this is homework

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook