Calculating Volume of Fluid Flowing in Pipe

In summary, the volume of fluid that passes through the pipe between time 10 and 14 seconds is estimated to be 2/3 of the total flow over the entire 10 to 14 second time period.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A fluid flows through a pipe. The flow varies with time. We want to estimate the volume of fluid (##V##, in ##L##) that passes through the pipe between time ##t = 10 s## and ##t = 14 s## (i.e. we want to integrate the flow between these times).

The available instrumentation allows us to measure the instantaneous flow rate (in ##L/s##) at any three times of our choosing. We might, for example, decide to measure the flow at ##t = 10 s##, ##t = 12 s##, and ##t = 14 s##. At what three times ##t_1, t_2, t_3## would you choose to measure the flow? Keep in mind that we want to produce the best possible estimate.

Now assume the results of the measurements are ##M(t_1)##, ##M(t_2)##, and ##M(t_3)## in ##L/s##. Give an expression for the volume of fluid that passes through the pipe in the period of interest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want to estimate ##V = \int_{10}^{14} \text{flow}(t) \space dt##.

I think the times ##t_1, t_2, t_3## that have been mentioned in the problem are appropriate, but it obviously can't be that easy right? I can't really see how to break up the interval any better than that.

Then I would want to measure ##\frac{d \text{flow}}{dt}## at ##t_1, t_2, t_3## and call those ##M(t_1)##, ##M(t_2)##, and ##M(t_3)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

A fluid flows through a pipe. The flow varies with time. We want to estimate the volume of fluid (##V##, in ##L##) that passes through the pipe between time ##t = 10 s## and ##t = 14 s## (i.e. we want to integrate the flow between these times).

The available instrumentation allows us to measure the instantaneous flow rate (in ##L/s##) at any three times of our choosing. We might, for example, decide to measure the flow at ##t = 10 s##, ##t = 12 s##, and ##t = 14 s##. At what three times ##t_1, t_2, t_3## would you choose to measure the flow? Keep in mind that we want to produce the best possible estimate.

Now assume the results of the measurements are ##M(t_1)##, ##M(t_2)##, and ##M(t_3)## in ##L/s##. Give an expression for the volume of fluid that passes through the pipe in the period of interest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want to estimate ##V = \int_{10}^{14} \text{flow}(t) \space dt##.

I think the times ##t_1, t_2, t_3## that have been mentioned in the problem are appropriate, but it obviously can't be that easy right? I can't really see how to break up the interval any better than that.

Then I would want to measure ##\frac{d \text{flow}}{dt}## at ##t_1, t_2, t_3## and call those ##M(t_1)##, ##M(t_2)##, and ##M(t_3)##.

Unless you are restricted from measuring the flow at all three times, more measurements = better results. If you can provide measurement at equally spaced time intervals, the total flow over the time interval can be computed by applying Simpson's Rule or some other numerical integration method.

Only three points are allowed I believe.

After doing some research I found my symbolism to be a bit off. So we want ##V = \int_{10}^{14} Q(t) \space dt##, where ##Q(t) = \frac{dV}{dt}## is the flow rate.

So if we measure ##\frac{dV}{dt}## (aka ##Q(t)##) at the three times mentioned in the problem statement, we obtain ##Q(10) = M(10), Q(12) = M(12), Q(14) = M(14)##. These are the ##y## values in this case.

So an expression for the volume of fluid is given by:

$$V = \int_{10}^{14} Q(t) \space dt = \frac{2}{3} \left[ M(10) + 4M(12) + M(14) \right]$$

Using Simpson's 1/3 rule with ##h = 2##. Alternatively:

$$V = \int_{10}^{14} Q(t) \space dt = \left[ M(10) + 2M(12) + M(14) \right]$$

Using composite trapezoidal integration with ##h = 2##.

I am unsure this is the best estimate, but for now it seems like it might be.

The simpson's rule will probably give you a more accurate result than the trapezoidal rule. With only three points, it's rather easy to check the flow with both.

From there, I would use the trapezoidal rule to approximate the integral:

##V \approx \frac{\Delta t}{2} (M(t_1) + 2M(t_2) + M(t_3))##

Where ##\Delta t = t_3 - t_1 = 4 s##.

This would give us an approximate value for the volume of fluid that passed through the pipe in the given time interval. However, this is just an estimation and there could be errors involved in the measurements and the approximation method. It would be best to repeat the measurements multiple times and take an average to get a more accurate estimate. Additionally, if possible, using more measurement points within the time interval would also help improve the accuracy of the estimate.

1. How is the volume of fluid flowing in a pipe calculated?

The volume of fluid flowing in a pipe is calculated by multiplying the cross sectional area of the pipe by the velocity of the fluid and the time it takes for the fluid to flow through the pipe. This equation can be written as V = A x v x t, where V is the volume, A is the cross sectional area, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

2. What units are used to measure volume and velocity in this calculation?

The volume of fluid is typically measured in cubic meters (m3) or liters (L). The velocity of the fluid is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). It is important to use consistent units when performing this calculation.

3. How does the viscosity of the fluid affect the calculation of volume?

The viscosity of the fluid, which is a measure of its resistance to flow, can affect the calculation of volume in two ways. First, a more viscous fluid will flow slower, therefore increasing the time it takes for the fluid to flow through the pipe. Second, the viscosity can affect the cross sectional area of the pipe, as a more viscous fluid may create a thinner boundary layer, reducing the effective cross sectional area. This should be taken into account when calculating the volume.

4. Is the volume of fluid flowing in a pipe affected by the shape or diameter of the pipe?

Yes, the volume of fluid flowing in a pipe is affected by the shape and diameter of the pipe. A larger diameter pipe will have a larger cross sectional area, allowing for more fluid to flow through. The shape of the pipe can also affect the velocity of the fluid, as a smoother and more streamlined shape will have less resistance and allow for a faster flow rate.

5. Are there any assumptions that need to be made when calculating the volume of fluid flowing in a pipe?

There are a few assumptions that can be made when calculating the volume of fluid flowing in a pipe. First, it is assumed that the flow is steady and uniform, meaning that the velocity and cross sectional area do not change over time. Second, it is assumed that the fluid is incompressible, meaning that its density remains constant. Finally, it is assumed that there are no external forces acting on the fluid, such as gravity or friction, that could affect the flow rate.