Calculating Volume of a Closed Cylinder with 600π Surface Area

Since you have solved for h, you can now replace h in the volume equation to get V= \pi r^2(300-r^2/r), which simplifies to V= 300\pi r- \pi r^3. That is the formula you are looking for. Since the volume is a function of r alone, to find the maxiumum volume, take the derivative of that function and set the derivative equal to 0. Solve for r and use that value of r to find the maximum volume.In summary, we are given a closed cylinder with surface area of 600π and we need to find its volume and the maximum volume it can have. Using the formula for the surface area of
tweety1234

Homework Statement

A closed cylinder has total surface area equal to [tex] 600\pi [/tex].

Show that the volume, Vcm3, of this cylinder is given by the formula[tex] v = 300\pi-\pi r^3 [/tex],
where r cm is the radius of the cylinder.
Find the maximum volume of such a cylinder.

Homework Equations

[tex] V= 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

not really sure where to start,

[tex] 600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh [/tex]

how would I make this expression equal the other?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tweety1234 said:

Homework Statement

A closed cylinder has total surface area equal to [tex] 600\pi [/tex].

Show that the volume, Vcm3, of this cylinder is given by the formula[tex] v = 300\pi-\pi r^3 [/tex],
where r cm is the radius of the cylinder.
Find the maximum volume of such a cylinder.

Homework Equations

[tex] V= 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh [/tex]
A, the total surface area, is [itex]2\pi r^2+ 2\pi rh[/itex], not the volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

not really sure where to start,

[tex] 600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh [/tex]
Yes, that is correct.

how would I make this expression equal the other?
Well, first you have to decide what the "other" expression is! What is the formula for volume of a cylinder? And you don't "make them equal". Solve the equation giving surface area for h and use that to replace h in the formula giving volume.

Thanks!

Latex gone horribly wrong.

this is the question;

A closed cylinder has total surface area equal to 600π. Show that the volume, Vcm3, of this cylinder is given by the formula V=300πr−πr3, where r cm is the radius of the cylinder.
Find the maximum volume of such a cylinder

n=pi

well the formula for the volume of a cylinder = v= 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh so if I set that equal to 600\pi, what do I do after that?

Well, first you have to decide what the "other" expression is! What is the formula for volume of a cylinder? And you don't "make them equal". Solve the equation giving surface area for h and use that to replace h in the formula giving volume.

so If I solve for 'h' from 600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pirh I get; 300-r^2/r = h,

600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pi(300-r^2)/r -----that does not simplify to the desired expression, what did I do wrong?

Last edited:
tweety1234 said:
Actually h=(300-r^2)/r not 300-r^2/r

tweety1234 said:
600\pi = 2\pir^2 + 2\pi(300-r^2)/r -----that does not simplify to the desired expression, what did I do wrong?
I don't even know which formula you are trying to substitute the h in. You need to put the h in the general formula for the area of a any cylinder.

tweety1234 said:

It looks like you have solve the area equation for h in terms of r and the replace h in the area equation! You want to replace h in the volume equation so as to get a formula for volume in terms of r only. The volume of a cylinder, of base radius r and height h, is [itex]V= \pi r^2 h[/itex].

Related to Calculating Volume of a Closed Cylinder with 600π Surface Area

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a closed cylinder with 600π surface area?

The formula for calculating the volume of a closed cylinder with 600π surface area is V = A/πh, where V is the volume, A is the surface area, and h is the height of the cylinder.

How do I find the height of a closed cylinder with 600π surface area and a given volume?

To find the height of a closed cylinder with 600π surface area and a given volume, rearrange the formula V = A/πh to h = A/πV. Plug in the values of A and V to solve for the height.

Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of an open cylinder with 600π surface area?

No, the formula for calculating the volume of an open cylinder is different. It is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder.

Is surface area the same as lateral area when calculating the volume of a closed cylinder with 600π surface area?

No, surface area and lateral area are different measurements. Surface area includes the top and bottom circles of the cylinder, while lateral area only includes the curved side. When calculating the volume of a closed cylinder, only the lateral area is used.

How accurate is the calculated volume of a closed cylinder with 600π surface area?

The calculated volume will be an approximation, as it is impossible to measure or create a perfect cylinder. However, the formula for calculating volume is fairly accurate and can be used in real-world scenarios.