Calculating Work and Friction on a Crate on an Incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A crate of mass 10.6 kg is pulled up a rough incline with an initial speed of 1.48 m/s. The pulling force is 104 N parallel to the incline, which makes an angle of 20.1° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400, and the crate is pulled 5.05 m.

(a) How much work is done by the gravitational force on the crate?
(b) Determine the increase in internal energy of the crate-incline system due friction.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have solved part A, and I got -180 J. I need help on B. I really don't know what the question is looking for. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Increase in internal energy is decrease in kinetic energy.
 
It may be easier to think about it in terms of the definition of work done by a force. That is,

[tex]W = \int Fds[/tex]

where the work done by friction rubs the molecules beneath the crate and heats it up, hence an increase in internal energy.
 
So do I need to find the Work that is done by friction?