Calculating Work Done by a Horse Pulling a Wagon with Friction on a Level Road

In summary, the horse did 14739200 J of work when pulling a 200 kg wagon 80 km along a level road with an effective coefficient of friction of 0.060. The force of friction was calculated to be 117.6 N and the total work done was found by subtracting the work of friction from the total work. The force of 1960 N was determined using the formula W=Fd.
gdhillon
:How much work did a horse do that pulled a 200 kg wagon 80 km along a level road if
the effective coefficient of friction was 0.060?

I used W=Fd to find the work (W=1960*80000=156800000) then I got the force of friction by ff=(coeff)Fn and got (.06)*1960=117.6. I then got the W(friction)=117.6(80000)=-9408000 and by subtracting the 2 Work answers I got 14739200J

Physics news on Phys.org
Great - did you have a question?
Note: you have an implicit assumption in the calculation that you should make explicit of this is a long-answer.

Sorry, stupid question but how did you know the Force was 1960 N for the 200kg?

1. What is the formula for work in Physics 12?

The formula for work in Physics 12 is W = F * d, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents displacement.

2. How is work related to energy in Physics 12?

In Physics 12, work and energy are directly related. Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another, and the amount of work done is equal to the change in energy.

3. Can you give an example of calculating work in Physics 12?

Yes, for example, if a force of 10 Newtons is applied to an object and it is moved a distance of 2 meters, the work done would be 20 Joules (W = 10 N * 2 m).

4. What are the units for work in Physics 12?

The units for work in Physics 12 are Joules (J). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as Newton-meters (Nm) or kilogram-meters squared per second squared (kg*m²/s²).

5. How is the direction of work determined in Physics 12?

In Physics 12, the direction of work is determined by the direction of the force applied. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work is considered positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work is considered negative.