Calculating Work in Lifting a Bucket

In summary, the conversation is about a worker lifting a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground up to the top of a 20.0-m tall building. The bucket is initially at rest and travels at 4.0 m/s when it reaches the top. The question is to find the minimum amount of work done by the worker. Two methods are suggested, one using force and the other using potential and kinetic energy. The final answer is 4.08 kJ.
Brian McKalip

Homework Statement

A worker lifts a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground up to the top of a 20.0-m tall
building. The bucket is initially at rest, but is traveling at 4.0 m/s when it reaches the top of the
building. What is the minimum amount of work that the worker did in lifting the bucket?

A) 160 J B) 3.92 kJ C) 400 J D) 560 J E) 4.08 kJ

Homework Equations

F= ma
W= Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is given to me, it is e, 4.08kJ However I am unable to get that answer,. I know that I have to solve W = Fd, and that d = distance traveled = 20m, however I'm confused by the given final velocity of 4.0m/s I don't know how to incorporate this into my process. When I solve for Force, I do F = (20kg)(-9.8m/s^2) however have a feeling, I need to determine a new acceleration from the 4.0m/s velocity given, but I don't know how to do that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the bucket gets to the top it has kinetic energy.

Did you ever figure out how to do thins problem?

Timmy1221 said:
Did you ever figure out how to do thins problem?
Asking whom?

F= m.a
W= F.d
use thıs two fırst to get the value
K=1/2 M v^2
and add thıs one
f=20x(9,8)=196N
w=196.20=3920N
k=1/2.20.(4^2)=160N
we should add thıs two value because final velocity of the partıcle is 4 m/s.
answer=160+3920N=4080N
solving by
FUAT MERT AĞARLI

wwmertww said:
F= m.a
W= F.d
use thıs two fırst to get the value
K=1/2 M v^2
and add thıs one
f=20x(9,8)=196N
That is not really valid since we are not told that the force is constant.
Just use net change in PE + KE.

A man lifts a 20-kg box from the ground up to the top of a 30-m high building. The box is initially at rest, but it
travels at 4 m/s when it reaches the top of the building. How much work is done by the man in lifting the box?
A. 5840 J
B. 160 J
C. 2400 J
D. 6000 J
E. 6160 J

answer is still same, ıt is still working if you solve it my way

wwmertww said:
A man lifts a 20-kg box from the ground up to the top of a 30-m high building. The box is initially at rest, but it
travels at 4 m/s when it reaches the top of the building. How much work is done by the man in lifting the box?
A. 5840 J
B. 160 J
C. 2400 J
D. 6000 J
E. 6160 J

answer is still same, ıt is still working if you solve it my way
Yes, of course it gives the same answer, but if your method makes unwarranted assumptions then it is not a proof.

haruspex said:
Yes, of course it gives the same answer, but if your method makes unwarranted assumptions then it is not a proof.

wwmertww isn't the OP. He shouldn't be posting solutions by any method!

Cutter Ketch said:
wwmertww isn't the OP. He shouldn't be posting solutions by any method!
The original post is several years old and the only post the OP ever made; he never returned to follow up with the thread. The mentors that have looked at the issue of the complete solution attempt offered up by @wwmertww feel that it won't benefit the OP at this late date, and that the ensuing discussion of the solution offering is probably more valuable in terms of insightful information than the original question :smile: So we've decided to let the post and the followup discussion stand.

Related to Calculating Work in Lifting a Bucket

1. What is work done in lifting a bucket?

The work done in lifting a bucket refers to the amount of energy required to lift the bucket from one position to another. It takes into account the weight of the bucket, the distance it is lifted, and the force needed to overcome gravity.

2. How is work calculated in lifting a bucket?

The formula for calculating work is work = force x distance. In the case of lifting a bucket, the force is the weight of the bucket and the distance is the height it is lifted. So, the work done in lifting a bucket is equal to the weight of the bucket multiplied by the height it is lifted.

3. What units are used to measure work?

The standard unit of measurement for work is joules (J). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) and calories (cal) can also be used.

4. Does the weight of the bucket affect the work done in lifting it?

Yes, the weight of the bucket does affect the work done in lifting it. The heavier the bucket, the more work is required to lift it to a certain height. This is because a heavier object has more mass and therefore requires more force to overcome gravity.

5. How does the height of the lift impact the work done in lifting a bucket?

The height of the lift directly affects the work done in lifting a bucket. The higher the bucket is lifted, the more work is required. This is because as the distance increases, so does the force needed to overcome gravity. Therefore, lifting a bucket to a greater height requires more work.