Calculating Work: Contour Integration vs Stokes Theorem

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: I see my error now. In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the work required to go around a contour given a specific force field. Two methods, contour integration and Stokes' theorem, are used to find the answer. It is revealed that the first method contains some sign errors, resulting in a zero answer instead of the correct -4. The expert identifies the errors and explains the correct method.
jeff1evesque

Homework Statement

Given the attached picture, Calculate the work required to go around the contour shown if the force is [tex]\vec{F} = y\hat{x} - x^{2} \hat{y}[/tex]First by Contour integration:
Work = [tex]\oint \vec{F} \bullet \vec{dl} = \int_{a}^{b} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{x})dx + \int_{b}^{c} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{y})dy - \int_{c}^{d} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{x})dx - \int_{d}^{a} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{y})dy [/tex]

[tex]= \int_{1}^{2} (2) dx + \int_{2}^{3} (4)dy - \int_{2}^{1} (3)dx - \int_{3}^{2} (1)dy = 0 [/tex]

I think the answer above is suppose to be -4 not 0.Now by Stokes Theorem:
When this was done with "Stokes theorem", we get the following:
Work = [tex]\oint \vec{F} \bullet \vec{dl} \equiv \int \int (\nabla \times \hat{F})\bullet \vec{ds} = - \int \int (2x + 1)( \hat{z} \bullet \hat{z})ds = \int_{2}^{3} \int_{1}^{2} (2x + 1)dxdy = -4[/tex]
Note: [tex]( \hat{z} \bullet \hat{z}) = 1[/tex] since [tex]( \hat{z} \bullet \vec{ds}) = ds [/tex]

Question:
When I look at this, Stokes method seems apparently correct, but the method before it seems wrong. Can someone help me find my error?Thanks,JL

Attachments

• StokePic.bmp
    297 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment is still pending approval, but if we're speaking of the work done around a closed path, it's certainly not zero. This is due to the fact that the force field is not conservative. While the force is position dependent (as is required by a conservative force), it's curl, [tex]\nabla \times F[/tex], is not the zero vector.

jeff1evesque said:

Homework Statement

Given the attached picture, Calculate the work required to go around the contour shown if the force is [tex]\vec{F} = y\hat{x} - x^{2} \hat{y}[/tex]
The contour is the square with corners at (1, 2), (2, 2), (2, 3), and (1, 3).

First by Contour integration:
Work = [tex]\oint \vec{F} \bullet \vec{dl} = \int_{a}^{b} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{x})dx + \int_{b}^{c} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{y})dy - \int_{c}^{d} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{x})dx - \int_{d}^{a} (\vec{F} \bullet \hat{y})dy [/tex]
Why do you have minus signs on the last two integrals? Assuming that your contour goes from point a to point b, then to point c, then to point d, then back to point a, these should all be "+". (Although the integrals themselves might be 0.)

[tex]= \int_{1}^{2} (2) dx + \int_{2}^{3} (4)dy - \int_{2}^{1} (3)dx - \int_{3}^{2} (1)dy = 0 [/tex]
On the first leg, with x= t, y= 2, the integral is [itex]\int_1^2 2 dx[/itex] as you say. On the second leg, with x= 2, y= t, the integral is [itex]\int_2^3 (-4) dt[/itex]. Did you forget the "-" on "[itex]-x^2\vec{j}[/itex]"? On the third leg, with x= t, y= 3, the integral is [itex]\int_2^1 3dt= -\int_1^2 3dt[/itex]. You have the wrong sign. On the fourth leg, with x= 1, y= t, the integral is [itex]\int_3^2(-1) dt= \int_2^3 dt[/itex]. That is what you have, but, I think, because of two canceling sign errors!. Evaluating, the integral is 2- 4+ (-3)+ (1)= -4.

I think the answer above is suppose to be -4 not 0.

Now by Stokes Theorem:
When this was done with "Stokes theorem", we get the following:
Work = [tex]\oint \vec{F} \bullet \vec{dl} \equiv \int \int (\nabla \times \hat{F})\bullet \vec{ds} = - \int \int (2x + 1)( \hat{z} \bullet \hat{z})ds = \int_{2}^{3} \int_{1}^{2} (2x + 1)dxdy = -4[/tex]
Note: [tex]( \hat{z} \bullet \hat{z}) = 1[/tex] since [tex]( \hat{z} \bullet \vec{ds}) = ds [/tex]

Question:
When I look at this, Stokes method seems apparently correct, but the method before it seems wrong. Can someone help me find my error?

Thanks,

JL

Thanks Halls.

What is the difference between contour integration and Stokes theorem?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the work done by a vector field along a closed curve in a complex plane. Stokes theorem, on the other hand, is a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the surface integral of the curl of the same vector field over the surface bounded by that curve.

Which method is more accurate for calculating work?

Both contour integration and Stokes theorem are equally accurate for calculating work. However, they are used in different situations. Contour integration is typically used in complex analysis, while Stokes theorem is used in vector calculus.

When should I use contour integration to calculate work?

Contour integration is best used when the vector field is defined in a complex plane. It is also useful when the curve along which the work is being calculated is a closed curve, such as a circle or ellipse.

What are the advantages of using Stokes theorem to calculate work?

Stokes theorem allows for the calculation of work over more complex surfaces, such as spheres or tori. It also relates the work done by a vector field to the circulation of the same vector field, providing a more intuitive understanding of the calculation.

Can contour integration and Stokes theorem be used interchangeably to calculate work?

No, contour integration and Stokes theorem are different methods and cannot be used interchangeably. They each have their own specific applications and should be used accordingly.