Calculating Young's modulus

Main Question or Discussion Point

I need to calculate Young's modulus based on deformation of sphere into ellipsoid. I assume the deforming force acting along one axes. Initial dimensions of the object before (sphere) and after (ellipsoid) deformation are known.

Does anyone know or familiar with good reference?

Answers and Replies

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I need to calculate Young's modulus based on deformation of sphere into ellipsoid. I assume the deforming force acting along one axes. Initial dimensions of the object before (sphere) and after (ellipsoid) deformation are known.

You have labelled you post with an A tag inferring you are post graduate level
What researching have you done so far to find an answer ?

How is the load distributed over the surface of the sphere? (Point forces certainly won't result in a sphere deforming into an ellipsoid).

I still don't understand what you are asking. Is it related to having an elastic spheric ball immersed in another medium with a different elastic modulus, and you are subjecting the outer medium to a tensile load? Or is it that you have an identified spherical region within a larger medium, and you want to determine the modulus of the material based on the distortion of the spherical region into an ellipsoid as a result of applying a tensile load to the overall medium?

There is still insufficient information to solve this problem. It's easy to draw arrows for force distribution as you have done on the figure, but your really need to specify the stress distribution (at least the traction distribution) at the surface of the sphere to complete the specification of this problem. Saying that there are forces on the two sides is not sufficient to define a unique solution.