1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Calculation of friction stresses between 2 materials

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    Dear All,
    I am looking for a method to calculate the friction stresses created in 1 mm thick, fully supported, slide of soda-lime silica glass.

In this experiment a 1/4" ball bearing of various metals is being translated over the glass surface under a constant load of 2000g. The glass slide is then being tested to evaluate the breaking force in order to ascertain if the metal damaged the glass surface.

In a further experiment I have evaluated the static coefficient of friction between the 1/4" ball bearing and the glass.

What I am interested in is to evaluate the friction stresses as these are related to the creation of damage on the glass surface.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2
    Have you considered just the stresses caused by normal loading of the bearing on the slide at 2000 gm without friction? It's a pretty complicated contact loading stress analysis problem to analyze, and that's much simpler than the case with friction included. Look up "spherical indenters" on Google.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted