Radial Excess Calc: GR, 4πGρ & R00

In summary, the mathematical procedure to obtain ##\delta r = \frac{GM}{3c^2}## from ##\nabla^2 V = R_{00} = 4\pi G\rho## where ##\nabla^2 V## is volume contraction of a spherical mass of density ##\rho## and ##R_{00}## is the 00 component of Ricci tensor ##R_{ij}## is to first compute the metric of the interior solution for a spherically symmetric, perfect fluid and then use the Schwarzschild metric.
Thytanium
Which is the mathematical procedure to obtain ##\delta r = \frac{GM}{3c^2}## from ##\nabla^2 V = R_{00} = 4\pi G\rho## where ##\nabla^2 V## is volume contraction of a spherical mass of density ##\rho## and ##R_{00}## is the 00 component of Ricci tensor ##R_{ij}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you mean the difference between the Schwarzschild coordinate ##r_g## at the surface and the physical distance ##\displaystyle{\int_0^{r_g}} \sqrt{g_{rr}} dr## for a spherical mass distribution of constant density...

...first of all, do you know what the metric of the interior solution for a spherically symmetric, perfect fluid is?

Last edited:
I don't know the metric of the interior solution for a spherically symmetric perfect fluid.

Excuse me Ergospherical. Thanks for answering. Ergospherical.

Excuse me again. I know the metric of Schwarzschild. This is the metric of perfect fluid?

Thytanium said:
Excuse me again. I know the metric of Schwarzschild. This is the metric of perfect fluid?
The Schwarzschild metric is the spherically symmetric vacuum solution. The stress energy tensor is zero.

Likes vanhees71
OK. Thanks for answering Orodruin.

I mean, you can find it on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interior_Schwarzschild_metric
(there are derivations in Wald, etc.)

Specifically, with a (-+++) signature, the ##rr## component is ##g_{rr} = \left( 1- \dfrac{2GMr^2}{c^2 r_g^3} \right)^{-1}##. That's all you need to do the integration :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks Ergospherical. Very thankful,

:smile::smile:

Good day friends. Thankful for your immense help because I already evaluated the integral and obtained the result of the physical distance. But now I have a drawback and it is that I do not know how to do the subtraction between the Euclidean radius and the physical distance that I calculate. I think it is not a simple subtraction because it is a curved space within the mass sphere M. I would appreciate your help again and excuse my ignorance about it.

Did you already compute the integral? It is a standard one of the form ##\int (1-\alpha r^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}} dr## which you can do with a trigonometric substitution.

The result you gave doesn't look exact, although is correct if you truncate the power series for ##\arcsin##...

Well. I am going to do the serial development of the integration result and then I am going to try to do the subtraction: ##r_{g}## - physical distance. The physical distance is the result of the series expansion of what I obtained by solving the integral and ##r_{g}## is the Euclidean radius. Ok.

Thakn you. Grateful Ergosferical. :smile: :smile:

The physical distance gives me exactly ##r_{g}## after the calculations with the series expansion of the arcsin (z), leaving the first term "z" and neglecting the other higher order terms of the series. Due to this result I think I must have a misconception because the Euclidean radius should not be ##r_{g}## since the radial excess would give me "0". Please, if you can clarify these doubts, I thank you very much. And excuse my ignorance please.

Can you write out your work? You should end up with\begin{align*}
\int_0^{r_g} \sqrt{g_{rr}} dr &= \sqrt{\dfrac{c^2 r_g^3}{2GM}} \arcsin{\left(r_g \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{c^2 r_g^3}}\right)} = r_g + \dfrac{GM}{3c^2} + O(r_g^{-1})
\end{align*}

The result I made of my integration was correct but I had not included the second term of the series. Because of that I was wrong. A thousand apologies friend. Very grateful to you Ergospherical. Eternally grateful. I wish you a very good day. That is the correct calculation. :smile::smile::smile::smile:

1. What is Radial Excess Calc?

Radial Excess Calc is a mathematical calculation used in general relativity to determine the amount of excess mass within a given radius of a massive object.

2. What is the role of GR in Radial Excess Calc?

GR, or general relativity, is the theory of gravity used in Radial Excess Calc. It provides the mathematical framework for understanding the effects of mass and energy on the curvature of spacetime.

3. How is 4πGρ related to Radial Excess Calc?

4πGρ represents the density of matter within a given radius, and is a key component in the Radial Excess Calc equation. It is used to determine the amount of mass within a specific distance from a massive object.

4. What is the significance of R00 in Radial Excess Calc?

R00 is a term used in the metric tensor of general relativity, which describes the curvature of spacetime. In Radial Excess Calc, R00 is used to calculate the radial acceleration due to the excess mass within a given radius.

5. How is Radial Excess Calc used in scientific research?

Radial Excess Calc is used in various fields of astrophysics and cosmology to study the distribution of matter and the effects of gravity on the universe. It is also used in simulations and models to understand the formation and evolution of galaxies and other structures in the universe.