Calculation of radial excess in General Relativity Theory

• A
  • Thread starter Thytanium
  • Start date
Thytanium
Which is the mathematical procedure to obtain ##\delta r = \frac{GM}{3c^2}## from ##\nabla^2 V = R_{00} = 4\pi G\rho## where ##\nabla^2 V## is volume contraction of a spherical mass of density ##\rho## and ##R_{00}## is the 00 component of Ricci tensor ##R_{ij}##?

Answers and Replies

ergospherical
Assuming you mean the difference between the Schwarzschild coordinate ##r_g## at the surface and the physical distance ##\displaystyle{\int_0^{r_g}} \sqrt{g_{rr}} dr## for a spherical mass distribution of constant density...

...first of all, do you know what the metric of the interior solution for a spherically symmetric, perfect fluid is?

Last edited:
Thytanium
I don't know the metric of the interior solution for a spherically symmetric perfect fluid.

Thytanium
Excuse me Ergospherical. Thanks for answering. Ergospherical.

Thytanium
Excuse me again. I know the metric of Schwarzschild. This is the metric of perfect fluid?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Excuse me again. I know the metric of Schwarzschild. This is the metric of perfect fluid?
The Schwarzschild metric is the spherically symmetric vacuum solution. The stress energy tensor is zero.

Thytanium
OK. Thanks for answering Orodruin.

ergospherical
I mean, you can find it on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interior_Schwarzschild_metric
(there are derivations in Wald, etc.)

Specifically, with a (-+++) signature, the ##rr## component is ##g_{rr} = \left( 1- \dfrac{2GMr^2}{c^2 r_g^3} \right)^{-1}##. That's all you need to do the integration :smile:

Last edited:
Thytanium
Thanks Ergospherical. Very thankful,

Thytanium
:smile::smile:

Thytanium
Good day friends. Thankful for your immense help because I already evaluated the integral and obtained the result of the physical distance. But now I have a drawback and it is that I do not know how to do the subtraction between the Euclidean radius and the physical distance that I calculate. I think it is not a simple subtraction because it is a curved space within the mass sphere M. I would appreciate your help again and excuse my ignorance about it.

ergospherical
Did you already compute the integral? It is a standard one of the form ##\int (1-\alpha r^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}} dr## which you can do with a trigonometric substitution.

The result you gave doesn't look exact, although is correct if you truncate the power series for ##\arcsin##...

Thytanium
Well. I am going to do the serial development of the integration result and then I am going to try to do the subtraction: ##r_{g}## - physical distance. The physical distance is the result of the series expansion of what I obtained by solving the integral and ##r_{g}## is the Euclidean radius. Ok.

Thytanium
Thakn you. Grateful Ergosferical. :smile: :smile:

Thytanium
The physical distance gives me exactly ##r_{g}## after the calculations with the series expansion of the arcsin (z), leaving the first term "z" and neglecting the other higher order terms of the series. Due to this result I think I must have a misconception because the Euclidean radius should not be ##r_{g}## since the radial excess would give me "0". Please, if you can clarify these doubts, I thank you very much. And excuse my ignorance please.

ergospherical
Can you write out your work? You should end up with\begin{align*}
\int_0^{r_g} \sqrt{g_{rr}} dr &= \sqrt{\dfrac{c^2 r_g^3}{2GM}} \arcsin{\left(r_g \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{c^2 r_g^3}}\right)} = r_g + \dfrac{GM}{3c^2} + O(r_g^{-1})
\end{align*}

Thytanium
The result I made of my integration was correct but I had not included the second term of the series. Because of that I was wrong. A thousand apologies friend. Very grateful to you Ergospherical. Eternally grateful. I wish you a very good day. That is the correct calculation. :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Suggested for: Calculation of radial excess in General Relativity Theory

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views