How to Calculate Remainder for Convergent Series in Calculus 2?

In summary: No, the integral test isn't going to work here because we're not given the exact number of terms in the series.
GreenPrint
Determine how many terms of the convergent series must be summed to be sure that the remainder is less than 10^-4.

Ʃ[n=1,∞] cos(k)/k^(3/2)

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I'm only aware of remainder formulas for the integral test and for alternating series. I'm not sure that this particular problem pertains to the remainder from the integral test sense we are not given the number of terms and it's what we are solving for and not exactly sure what I'm suppose to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
Determine how many terms of the convergent series must be summed to be sure that the remainder is less than 10^-4.

Ʃ[n=1,∞] cos(k)/k^(3/2)
The summation index should match the one used in the function being summed.
GreenPrint said:
I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I'm only aware of remainder formulas for the integral test and for alternating series. I'm not sure that this particular problem pertains to the remainder from the integral test sense we are not given the number of terms and it's what we are solving for and not exactly sure what I'm suppose to do.
Your book should have a theorem about the remainder of a Taylor series when you approximate a Taylor series by its first n terms. That's what you need to use.

Convergence of Taylor Series

Let f have derivatives of all orders on an open interval I containing a. The Taylor series for f centered at a converges to f for all x in I if and only if lim n->inf R_n(x)=0 for all x in I, where

R_n(x) = ( f(c)^(n+1) (x-a)^(n+1) )/(n+1)!

is the remainder at x (with c between x and a)

I'm not sure how to solve this problem because I don't know what function the series represents. My book has examples in which it finds the remainder term of the summation from k=0 to infinity of x^k/k! and such were the the function is actually known and proves that the interval of convergence is -infinity to positive infinity and such

but none of this stuff were you have to find how many terms are needed to get to a certain range and I'm not sure how to do this type of problem with this type of series.

Scratch that - I was thinking we were dealing with a Taylor series, but obviously we're not. Let me think about it a bit...

Last edited:
I'm stumped. According to Wolframalpha, the series converges to about .210049. I calculated the partial sums up to 300 terms in Excel, and the partial sums still don't seem to be settling down very quickly.

Checking in several of my calculus books, I don't see any error estimate theorems other than the ones you already cited.

Ya I'm stumped to.

Have you learned about the Lagrange error bound?

Nope I have not.

Mark44 said:
As far as I can tell, that won't be helpful here - the series isn't a Taylor series, which is what the thread in the link is working with.

I thought you could use the error bound formula for power series, but I maybe wrong.

EDIT:

I'm wrong, it's for taylor only. My friend is about to post a technique he knows of.

Last edited:
You could do this just by plugging in numbers like sooo, although this isn't very elegant:
cos(1)/(3/2) = 0.3602
cos(2)/(9/4) = -0.18495
cos(5)/(3/2)^5 = 0.03735
cos(10)/(3/2)^10 = -0.0145
cos(20)/(3/2)^20 = 0.000122
Were getting close..
cos(21)/(3/2)^21 = -0.0001098
cos(22)/(3/2)^22 = 0.000133
cos(23)/(3/2)^23 = -0.0000475
cos(24)/(3/2)^24 = 0.000025

So you need 23 terms before you can be sure.

ChowPuppy said:
You could do this just by plugging in numbers like sooo, although this isn't very elegant:
cos(1)/(3/2) = 0.3602
cos(2)/(9/4) = -0.18495
cos(5)/(3/2)^5 = 0.03735
cos(10)/(3/2)^10 = -0.0145
cos(20)/(3/2)^20 = 0.000122
Were getting close..
cos(21)/(3/2)^21 = -0.0001098
cos(22)/(3/2)^22 = 0.000133
cos(23)/(3/2)^23 = -0.0000475
cos(24)/(3/2)^24 = 0.000025

So you need 23 terms before you can be sure.
This is incorrect - the general term in the series is cos(k)/k^(3/2), not cos(k)/(3/2)^(k).

|cos(k)/k^(3/2)|<=1/k^(3/2). It's bounded by a convergent p-series. Can't you use the integral test to get an error estimate as well?

Related to How to Calculate Remainder for Convergent Series in Calculus 2?

1. What is an infinite series in Calculus 2?

An infinite series is the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. In Calculus 2, we typically deal with infinite series that involve variable terms and are often used to model real-world scenarios. It is an important concept in Calculus as it allows us to approximate functions and solve complex problems.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of its terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series has a well-defined limit. On the other hand, a divergent series is one in which the sum of its terms does not approach a finite number and instead either goes to infinity or oscillates between different values.

3. How do you determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, such as the integral test, comparison test, ratio test, and the root test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms increases and can help us determine if the series will converge or diverge.

4. What is the purpose of infinite series in Calculus 2?

Infinite series are used in Calculus 2 to approximate functions and solve problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. They allow us to break down complex functions into simpler, infinite sums that can be manipulated and evaluated to find solutions. Infinite series also have many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.

5. What are some common real-world applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have many real-world applications, such as in physics to model the motion of objects under changing forces, in finance to calculate compound interest, and in engineering to analyze and optimize complex systems. They are also used in computer science for algorithms and in statistics for data analysis. Understanding infinite series is essential for solving many real-world problems in various fields.