Is f(xy)=e^(2y)sin(pix) a Solution to the Differential Equation Given?

In summary, we have a function f(xy) = e^(2y)sin(pix) and we need to determine if it is a solution to (fxy)^2 - fxx(fyy) = 4pi^2 e^(4x). After finding fxx, fyy, and fxy, we get the expression e^4y(sin^2(pix)) + pi e^4y(cos^2(pix)) = pi e^(4x). However, this does not match the given equation and e^(4y) is not equal to e^(4x). It is possible that there is a typo in the question and it should be fxy^2 instead of fxy2. Further clarification
VU2
let f(xy)=e^(2y)sin(pix), is f a solution to (fxy)^2 -fxx(fyy)=4pi^2 e^(4x)

So I found fxx and fyy and fxy, which are -pi(e^(2y))sin(pix), 4sin(pix)e^(2y), 2pi(e^(2y))cos(pix) respectively,

When i reduced everything i got e^4y(sin^2(pix))+pie^4ycos^2(pix)=pie^(4x). I am assuming it is not a solution to 4pi^2 e^(4x) because first, it doesn't add up, and second, e^(4y) is never e^(4x). Am I right, I am not sure?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that it is not a solution, but I wonder whether it's because there is a typo in the question. Maybe it should say fxy2 -fxxfyy=4pi2 e4y

Yeah, me too. But the problem on the paper clearly states that. I'll bring it up to my professor. Thanks!

1. What is Calculus 3 and why is it important?

Calculus 3 is the third course in the calculus sequence, which deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It is important because it is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion.

2. What is a solution in Calculus 3?

In Calculus 3, a solution refers to a set of values for the variables in a function that satisfies the given equation or system of equations. It is the set of values that make the equation or system of equations true.

3. How can I determine if f is a solution in Calculus 3?

To determine if f is a solution, you can substitute the given values for the variables in the function and check if the resulting equation is true. You can also graph the function and see if the given values lie on the curve.

4. What are the common techniques used to find solutions in Calculus 3?

The common techniques used to find solutions in Calculus 3 include substitution, elimination, and graphical methods. Differentiation and integration are also commonly used to find optimal solutions for optimization problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Calculus 3 problems?

To improve your skills in solving Calculus 3 problems, it is important to practice regularly and understand the fundamental concepts and techniques. You can also seek help from your teacher, tutor, or online resources for additional practice and guidance.