Calculus- Area between two curves (minimize it)

In summary, to minimize the area between the two curves, you need to integrate between k=0 and k=pi/dx, and differentiate with respect to Eb.
Sidd
Hi,

This is my first question here, so please apologise me if something is amiss.
I have two curves such that Wa = f(k,Ea,dxa) and Wb = f(k,Eb,dxb). I need to minimize the area between these two curves in terms of Eb in the bounded limit of k=0 and k=pi/dx. So to say, all the variables can assume any value, and then I can only alter Eb to minimize the area between these two curves.

I have tried integrating both the curvesbetween k=0 and k=pi/dx, and differentiating with respect to Eb and equating it to 0. This does not work.
I also thought about integrating (summing) the distance between the two curves, bu that results in the case above.

Do I need to put a constraint function?

Please feel free to ask if any clarification is needed. I have tried to simply my case, and that may have resulted in some ambiguities.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean by "f(k, Ea, dxa)" and "f(k,Eb, dxb)". I would expect something of the form "f(x)" and "g(x)" with boundary values on x. I might assume that your "k" is my "x" but what are Ea, Eb, dxa, and dxb?

Hi,
So, both the functions represent the dispersion realtions of two models. So, the "x" and "y" axes whole plotting represent angular frequency (W) and wave number (k), respectively. Wa and Wb represent the angular frequencies of model a and model b, respectively.
Ea,Eb represent Young's moduli of models a and b, and dxa,dxb represent the cell discretization lengths in model a and b, repectively. These are not constants in the sense that can be changed. It is analogous to saying that you can change the parameters of the models.

1. What is the purpose of finding the area between two curves in calculus?

The purpose of finding the area between two curves in calculus is to determine the total area bounded by the two curves on a given interval. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as finding the area under a graph to calculate total distance traveled or finding the volume of a shape.

2. How do you find the area between two curves in calculus?

To find the area between two curves in calculus, you first need to find the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, you can use the definite integral to calculate the area between the two curves on a given interval. This involves finding the antiderivative of the difference between the two curves and evaluating it at the points of intersection.

3. What is the relationship between the area between two curves and the definite integral?

The area between two curves is equal to the definite integral of the difference between the two curves on a given interval. In other words, the area between two curves is the net change of the antiderivative of the difference between the two curves on that interval.

4. How can you minimize the area between two curves in calculus?

To minimize the area between two curves in calculus, you need to find the points of intersection between the two curves and then use the properties of definite integrals to determine the interval that will result in the smallest area. This can involve using techniques such as the First or Second Derivative Test to find the critical points of the area function.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the area between two curves in calculus?

Some real-world applications of finding the area between two curves in calculus include calculating the total distance traveled by a moving object, finding the volume of a shape, determining the amount of work done by a variable force, and calculating the area under a graph to analyze data. It can also be used in economics to calculate consumer and producer surplus.