How Do You Solve a Calculus Free Response Question on Taylor Series?

In summary: Since x-2 is a real number and does not tend to zero, this limiter will converge to a real number, which is f(x).
SWFanatic

Homework Statement

The function f has a Taylor series about x=2 that converges tp f(x) for all x in the interval of convergence. The nth derivative of f at x=2 is given by f^(n)(2)=((n+1)!)/3^n for n>=1, and f(2) =1.
(a). write the first four terms and the general term of the Taylor series for f about x=2.
(b). find the radius of convergence for the Taylor series for f about x=2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a). F(x) = 1 + (2/3)(x-2) + (2/3)(x-2)^2 + (8/9)(x-2)^3 +...+ ((n+1)!(x-2)^n)/(3^n)
This seems correct, however I am not sure, because when I atempt part b it doesn't really work.
(b) Standard Ratio Test for the general term in part a = abs((n+2)(x-2))/3 <1
Does this not mean its divergent then? or am i all mixed up? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
SWFanatic said:

Homework Statement

The function f has a Taylor series about x=2 that converges tp f(x) for all x in the interval of convergence. The nth derivative of f at x=2 is given by f^(n)(2)=((n+1)!)/3^n for n>=1, and f(2) =1.
(a). write the first four terms and the general term of the Taylor series for f about x=2.
(b). find the radius of convergence for the Taylor series for f about x=2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a). F(x) = 1 + (2/3)(x-2) + (2/3)(x-2)^2 + (8/9)(x-2)^3 +...+ ((n+1)!(x-2)^n)/(3^n)
This seems correct, however I am not sure, because when I atempt part b it doesn't really work.
This is completely wrong but since you don't say how you got those coefficients, I don't what you did wrong. Did you forget the n! in the denominator of the formula for the coefficients?

(b) Standard Ratio Test for the general term in part a = abs((n+2)(x-2))/3 <1
Does this not mean its divergent then? or am i all mixed up? Thanks for any help.

yes, i did forget to use n! in the denominator.
New Equation(for part a): f(x) = 1 + (2(x-2))/3*1!) + (6(x-2)^2)/(9*2!) + (24(x-2)^3)/(27*3!)+...+ ((x-2)^n)/((3^n)*(n!))
I got this by using the given nth derivative formula f^n(2)= (n+1)!/3^n for the f1 f2 f3 derivitive parts of the formula for series (f(2) + f1(x-2) + (f2(2)(x-2)^2)/2! + (f3(2)(x-2)^3)/3! +...
I still do not think its correct however because for part b:
I use the ration test lim(x>0)|((x+2)^(n+1)/(3^(n+1) *(n+1)!)) * ((3^n(n!))/(x-2)^n)| = lim(x>0) |(x-2)/3(n+1)|
From here i don't know what to do because if i made it less than 1, wouldn't it mean that the series always converges? Is my general term off? Thanks again

You have the correct derivatives in
[tex]F(x) = 1 + (2/3)(x-2) + (2/3)(x-2)^2 + (8/9)(x-2)^3 +...+ ((n+1)!(x-2)^n)/(3^n)k[/tex]
but did not divide by n! Since (n+1)!/n!= n+ 1, the correct series is
[tex]F(x) = 1 + (2/3)(x-2) + (1/3)(x-2)^2 + (4/27)(x-2)^3 +...+ ((n+1)(x-2)^n)/(3^n)[/tex]
Somehow, you have put the "n+1" in the denonimator, not the numerator.

Now, use the ratio test: take the limit of [(n+1)/n]|x-2|/3 as n goes to infinity.

1. What is a calculus free response question?

A calculus free response question is a type of problem that requires students to apply their knowledge of calculus concepts and techniques to solve a given scenario or equation. These questions often involve multiple steps and may require students to show their work or provide explanations for their solutions.

2. How are calculus free response questions different from multiple choice questions?

Calculus free response questions differ from multiple choice questions in that they do not provide answer choices and require students to generate their own solutions. This allows for a more in-depth assessment of students' understanding and problem-solving skills.

3. What topics are typically covered in calculus free response questions?

Calculus free response questions can cover a wide range of topics, including limits, derivatives, integrals, optimization, and related rates. They may also incorporate real-world applications or require students to interpret and analyze graphs or equations.

4. How can I prepare for calculus free response questions?

To prepare for calculus free response questions, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus concepts and techniques. Practice solving similar types of problems and make sure to show all of your work and explain your reasoning. It can also be helpful to review past free response questions and their solutions.

5. How are calculus free response questions graded?

Calculus free response questions are typically graded based on the accuracy of the solution, the completeness of the work shown, and the clarity of the explanation. Points may also be awarded for correctly using calculus concepts and techniques, even if the final solution is incorrect. Some questions may also have specific criteria or rubrics provided for grading.