1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Free Response Question help please

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The function f has a Taylor series about x=2 that converges tp f(x) for all x in the interval of convergence. The nth derivative of f at x=2 is given by f^(n)(2)=((n+1)!)/3^n for n>=1, and f(2) =1.
    (a). write the first four terms and the general term of the Taylor series for f about x=2.
    (b). find the radius of convergence for the Taylor series for f about x=2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a). F(x) = 1 + (2/3)(x-2) + (2/3)(x-2)^2 + (8/9)(x-2)^3 +...+ ((n+1)!(x-2)^n)/(3^n)
    This seems correct, however I am not sure, because when I atempt part b it doesnt really work.
    (b) Standard Ratio Test for the general term in part a = abs((n+2)(x-2))/3 <1
    Does this not mean its divergent then? or am i all mixed up? Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is completely wrong but since you don't say how you got those coefficients, I don't what you did wrong. Did you forget the n! in the denominator of the formula for the coefficients?

4. Mar 11, 2008 #3
    yes, i did forget to use n! in the denominator.
    New Equation(for part a): f(x) = 1 + (2(x-2))/3*1!) + (6(x-2)^2)/(9*2!) + (24(x-2)^3)/(27*3!)+...+ ((x-2)^n)/((3^n)*(n!))
    I got this by using the given nth derivative formula f^n(2)= (n+1)!/3^n for the f1 f2 f3 derivitive parts of the formula for series (f(2) + f1(x-2) + (f2(2)(x-2)^2)/2! + (f3(2)(x-2)^3)/3! +...
    I still do not think its correct however because for part b:
    I use the ration test lim(x>0)|((x+2)^(n+1)/(3^(n+1) *(n+1)!)) * ((3^n(n!))/(x-2)^n)| = lim(x>0) |(x-2)/3(n+1)|
    From here i don't know what to do because if i made it less than 1, wouldnt it mean that the series always converges? Is my general term off? Thanks again

5. Mar 11, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have the correct derivatives in
    [tex]F(x) = 1 + (2/3)(x-2) + (2/3)(x-2)^2 + (8/9)(x-2)^3 +...+ ((n+1)!(x-2)^n)/(3^n)k[/tex]
    but did not divide by n! Since (n+1)!/n!= n+ 1, the correct series is
    [tex]F(x) = 1 + (2/3)(x-2) + (1/3)(x-2)^2 + (4/27)(x-2)^3 +...+ ((n+1)(x-2)^n)/(3^n)[/tex]
    Somehow, you have put the "n+1" in the denonimator, not the numerator.

Now, use the ratio test: take the limit of [(n+1)/n]|x-2|/3 as n goes to infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?