Help! John Needs to Carry a Long Piece of Wood

• Thread starter punjabi_monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary, John has to carry a long piece of wood horizontally around the corner from a hallway of width 2 m to a hallway of width 2.5 m. Assuming that the piece of wood has no width, the maximum length of this piece of wood is 6.35 meters.
punjabi_monster
calculus help :(

John has to carry a long piece of wood horizontally around the corner from a hallway of width 2 m to a hallway of width 2.5 m. Assuming that the piece of wood has no width, what is the maximum length of this piece of wood (in meters)? Give answer to two decimal places.

i do not get htis question. any help would be greatly appreciated.

the way i tried it was to just use pythagorums theorum and i got 3.20, but i dotn think that's right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a L-shaped passage which changes its width while turning from a width of 2m to a width of 2.5 m and you are carrying the piece of wood horizontally , so when you turn, you will face problem if your piece of wood is too long . Calculate the length needed at critical turning point.

BJ

Dr.Brain said:
Imagine a L-shaped passage which changes its width while turning from a width of 2m to a width of 2.5 m and you are carrying the piece of wood horizontally , so when you turn, you will face problem if your piece of wood is too long . Calculate the length needed at critical turning point.

BJ

But what if it is carried this way? (Refer picture)
In this case, let the angle the rod make with the horizontal be "theta".
Find the length of each part of the rod in term's of theta. Now the sum of the length of each part is constant. So use calculus and find the maximum value

Attachments

• whatif.jpg
    whatif.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 433
siddharth said:
But what if it is carried this way? (Refer picture)
In this case, let the angle the rod make with the horizontal be "theta".
Find the length of each part of the rod in term's of theta. Now the sum of the length of each part is constant. So use calculus and find the maximum value

I think that's exactly what Dr. Brain was saying! (Your "horizontal" is different from his!)

Punjabi, you following this? I've attached a graph, drawn to scale. Note where theta is. Can you calculate the length of the ladder (or wood or whatever) across both hallways as a function of theta? The ladder will just fit around the corner when this function reaches a minimum. You can calculate that right? What is the ladder length as a function of theta? Break it up into two parts, h and k, as functions of theta.

Attachments

• ladder in well.JPG
    ladder in well.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 426
so...

you are trying to max x +y

sinθ=2.5/y
y=2.5/sinθ

cosθ=2/x
x=2/cosθ

2.5/sinθ + 2/cosθ = sum

from this part i get confused...

2.5/cosθ - 2/sinθ = ds/dt
2.5/cosθ - 2/sinθ = 0
2.5/cosθ = 2/sinθ

the answer is 6.35.

Last edited:
punjabi_monster said:
so...

you are trying to max x +y

sinθ=2.5/y
y=2.5/sinθ

cosθ=2/x
x=2/cosθ

2.5/sinθ + 2/cosθ = sum

from this part i get confused...

2.5/cosθ - 2/sinθ = ds/dt
2.5/cosθ - 2/sinθ = 0
2.5/cosθ = 2/sinθ

the answer is 6.35.

Your derivative is wrong. Those trig functions are in the denominators of those fractions.

[tex] \frac{dsin\theta}{d\theta} = cos\theta \ ,\ \ but \ \ \ \frac{d}{d\theta}\left[\frac{1}{sin\theta}\right] \ne \frac{1}{cos\theta} [/tex]

then would it be:
2.5cscθ + 2secθ = y
2.5(-cscθ)(cotθ)(dθ/dt) + 2(secθ)(tanθ)(dθ/dt) = y'
2.5(-cscθ)(cotθ)(dθ/dt) + 2(secθ)(tanθ)(dθ/dt) = 0

and what would u do next? i am confused.

Where did t come from? To find the θ that maximizes the length, differentiate with respect to θ:

-2.5 (cscθ)(&cotθ)+ 2(secθ)(tanθ)= 0.

You should be able to 2.5 cos3θ+ 2sin3= 0.

ok thanks for your help...i managed to get the right answer.

What is the best way for John to carry a long piece of wood?

The best way for John to carry a long piece of wood is by using his shoulder as a support. This will distribute the weight evenly and make it easier for him to carry the wood without straining his arms or back.

What should John do if the wood is too heavy for him to carry alone?

If the wood is too heavy for John to carry alone, he should ask for help from another person. It is important to avoid straining or injuring oneself when carrying heavy objects.

Is it safe for John to carry the wood over his head?

No, it is not safe for John to carry the wood over his head. This can put him at risk for neck and back injuries. It is best to carry the wood at waist level or on the shoulder.

Should John wear gloves while carrying the wood?

Yes, John should wear gloves while carrying the wood. This will provide a better grip and protect his hands from splinters or other sharp edges on the wood.

What is the maximum length of wood that John can safely carry by himself?

The maximum length of wood that John can safely carry by himself will depend on his strength and physical abilities. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to avoid carrying objects longer than your own height, for safety and balance purposes.