Calculus II - Taylor Series Question

In summary, the power series for f(x) using the definition of Taylor series expansion about a=9 is given by: f(x) = 1/sqrt(x) = sum from k=0 to infinity of (-1)^k*1*3*...(2k-1)*(x-9)^k/(k!*2^k*x^(1/2+k)), where the pattern in the numerator is (2k-1)(2k-3)(2k-5)... until the last term is equal to 1. This can also be represented as a double factorial or using the product notation. The use of induction can be used to prove the pattern.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the power series for f(x) using the definition of taylor series expansion about a=9. f(x)=1/sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the power series for f(x) using the definition of taylor series expansion about a=9. f(x)=1/sqrt(x)

f(x) = 1/sqrt(x) => f(9) = 1/3
f'(x) = - 1/(2 x^(3/2)) => f'(9) = -1/54
f''(x) = (1*3)/(2^2 x^(5/2)) => f''(9) = 1/324
f'''(x) = -(1*3*5)/(2^3 x^(7/2)) => f'''(9) = 5/5852

The patter that seems to be developing is

f^(k)(x) = ( (-1)^k ?)/(2^k x^(1/2 + k) )
but I'm lost as to how to express the pattern that appears in the numerator, hence the question mark, of each order of the function
for f(x) we have 1
for f'(x) we have 1
for f''(x) we have 1*3
for f'''(x) we have 1*3*5
The patter that seems to appear after the 1st derivative in a sort of backwards batter, 5*3*1 instead of 1*3*5, is (2k-1)(2k-3)(2k-5)... until the last term is equal to 1

I'm sort of lost... thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you lost? You found the answer?

The thing you might do first is to prove (by induction) that this is indeed the pattern that is emerging in the numerator!

i think you've identified the pattern
n=0, 1
n=1, 1
n=2, 1.3
n=3, 1.3.5
so for general n,
[tex] 1.3...(2n-1) = \Pi_{i=1}^{n}(2i-1)[/tex]

I don't think there is any other simple way to write this, though it can be represented as a double factorial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial#Double_factorial

The problem is that I don't know how to come up with the series representation of the function because I don't know how to describe the pattern in the numerator with mathematical functions

inf
sigma ( (-1)^k*1*3*(2k-1)*(x-9)^k)/(k!*2^k x^(1/2 + k) )
k=0

I don't know what to do about the question mark because I don't know how to describe the pattern with mathematical functions... maybe I'm over thinking it

Last edited:
How would I write the series representation without a double factorial?

how about as I did?

or how about
[tex] 1.3...(2n-1) = \Pi_{i=1}^{n}(2i-1) = \frac{(2n-1)!}{2^{n-1}(n-1)!} = (2n-1)![/tex]

inf
sigma ( (-1)^k*1*3*(2k-1)*(x-9)^k)/(k!*2^k x^(1/2 + k) )
k=0

for k =0

( (-1)^0*1*3*...*(2*0-1)*(x-9)^0)/(0!*2^0 x^(1/2 + 0) )
(1*3*-1)/sqrt(x)
-3/sqrt(x)
it doesn't seem to work because of the 2*0-1 is negative 1 and doesn't cancel out the 1*3 to leave me with one in the numerator to give me f^(0)(x) = 1/sqrt(x) but instead -3/sqrt(x)?

I guess I should learn double factorials than but it's not a standard calculus II topic so that's why I was lead to believe I was doing something wrong but I guess I'm not because I had no clue how to represent the pattern in the numerator

You may have to write the sum from k=1 onwards for that reason though i haven't checked.

If you read post #7 there is a couple of different ways to write it. The double factorial is just a nice shorthand for these, but doesn't get used very often in my experience. If I were marking, any of the forms in post #7 would be fine.

The main thing is you recognised the pattern. As micromass points out if you want to be rigorous you should use induction to prove this is the pattern. However looking at the action of the derivative it should be easy to convince yourself it is correct.

Related to Calculus II - Taylor Series Question

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point. It is used in Calculus to approximate the value of a function at a certain point, and can also be used to find the derivatives of a function.

What is the purpose of Taylor Series in Calculus II?

In Calculus II, Taylor Series are used to approximate the value of a function at a certain point when the function cannot be easily evaluated. It is also used to find the derivatives of a function, which is important in many applications of Calculus.

How do you find the Taylor Series of a function?

The Taylor Series of a function can be found by using the formula:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2 + (f'''(a)/3!)(x-a)^3 + ...
where a is the point at which the function is evaluated. This formula is derived using the definition of a Taylor Series and the Taylor polynomial.

What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Maclaurin Series?

A Maclaurin Series is a special case of a Taylor Series, where the function is centered at x=0. This means that the point a in the Taylor Series formula is equal to 0. In other words, a Maclaurin Series is a Taylor Series where a=0.

What are some applications of Taylor Series?

Taylor Series have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate the value of a function at a certain point, find the derivatives of a function, and solve differential equations. They are also used in computer graphics and signal processing to create smooth curves and images.