Calculus of variations problem

In summary, the problem involves making the integral $\int_{\phi_1}^{\phi_2} \sqrt{\theta'^2 + sin^2\theta}d\phi$ stationary. The suggested method involves letting $u=\sin\theta$ and then using the substitution $v=\arctan u$. This results in the integral becoming $\int_{\arctan(\sin\phi_1)}^{\arctan(\sin\phi_2)}\sqrt{\frac{1}{1+v^2}}\,dv$.
Grand

Homework Statement

The problem requests to make stationary the integral:
[tex]\int_{\phi_1}^{\phi_2} \sqrt{\theta'^2 + sin^2\theta}d\phi[/tex]
where [tex]\theta'=\frac{d\theta}{d\phi}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to start with the problem, and with two different methods I get the curve defined by:
[tex]\int \frac{cd\theta}{sin\theta \sqrt{sin^2\theta-c^2}}= \int d\phi[/tex]

which I can't solve. I've been trying since last night, Wolfram alpha gives some nasty expression involving arctan, but I need it in the from arccos(tan(stuff)) in order to get the answer provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:Let $u=\sin\theta$. Then,$$\int_{\phi_1}^{\phi_2}\sqrt{\theta'^2+\sin^2\theta}\,d\phi=\int_{\sin\phi_1}^{\sin\phi_2}\sqrt{\frac{u'^2}{1-u^2}+u^2}\,du.$$By letting $v=\arctan u$, we have$$\int_{\sin\phi_1}^{\sin\phi_2}\sqrt{\frac{u'^2}{1-u^2}+u^2}\,du=\int_{\arctan(\sin\phi_1)}^{\arctan(\sin\phi_2)}\sqrt{\frac{1}{1+v^2}}\,dv.$$Can you take it from here?

What is a "Calculus of variations problem"?

A "Calculus of variations problem" is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, known as the "functional". This functional is usually an integral, and the function to be optimized is called the "unknown function".

What is the difference between a "Calculus of variations problem" and a traditional optimization problem?

A traditional optimization problem involves finding the minimum or maximum value of a function with respect to a set of variables, while a "Calculus of variations problem" involves finding the function itself that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity.

What are some real-world applications of "Calculus of variations problems"?

"Calculus of variations problems" have many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. For example, it can be used to optimize the shape of a bridge or other structure to minimize the amount of material used while still maintaining strength, or to find the path of a projectile that minimizes the time of flight.

What are the basic steps to solving a "Calculus of variations problem"?

The basic steps to solving a "Calculus of variations problem" are:
1. Define the functional to be optimized
2. Write down the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a necessary condition for the optimal function
3. Solve the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the unknown function
4. Check the solution to ensure it satisfies the boundary conditions
5. If necessary, use the solution to find the minimum or maximum value of the functional.

Are there any limitations to "Calculus of variations problems"?

One limitation of "Calculus of variations problems" is that they can only be solved analytically for simple functionals and boundary conditions. For more complex problems, numerical methods must be used. Additionally, the unknown function must be smooth and the functional must be well-behaved for the method to work effectively.