Calculus problem, explaining the step

• Thread starter karnten07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is discussing the equivalence between the formula for a second derivative and the difference quotient representation of a derivative. By taking the limit as h tends to zero, the left hand side of the equation can be simplified to represent a second derivative. The confusion arises from not taking the limit and instead substituting a specific value for h, resulting in an undefined value.
karnten07

Homework Statement

dy/dx(x+dx) - dy/dx(x-dx)
=> d^2y/dx^2 when dx->0

can someone explain this step to me please?

Homework Equations

The dx in the brackets should be sigma x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that dx -> means it tends to zero

i think i might have missed something out that might make a difference to this step;
it may be necessary to divide through the first line by dx (sigma x) to complete the step? I am stumped, i don't see how this works at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write h for 'dx' in 'brackets'. Then you are saying lim h->0 y'(x+h)-y'(x-h)=y''(x). Not true. It's ok if you divide the left side by 2*h. It's just a difference quotient representation of a derivative.

Dick said:
Write h for 'dx' in 'brackets'. Then you are saying lim h->0 y'(x+h)-y'(x-h)=y''(x). Not true. It's ok if you divide the left side by 2*h. It's just a difference quotient representation of a derivative.

Yes, my notes show that i divide the left hand side by h, but i still don't understand how this makes the left hand side into a 2nd order derivative?

The derivative of f(x) can be defined by the limit of f(x+h)-f(x-h)/(2h) (yes, 2h). Put f=y and you get a definition of derivative y'. Now put f=y'.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The derivative of f(x) can be defined by the limit of f(x+h)-f(x-h)/(2h) (yes, 2h). Put f=y and you get a definition of derivative y'. Now put f=y'.

say h = 0.1, and i put f=y', i would get (1.1 - 0.9)/0.2 = 1
how does this mean that it equals f''?

You said "I know that dx -> means it tends to zero". You have to take the limit as h->0 to get the true derivative.

Dick said:
You said "I know that dx -> means it tends to zero". You have to take the limit as h->0 to get the true derivative.

I see, I am sorry if I am missing an obvious point here, but i still can't see how as h tends to zero it makes the formula become a second derivative.

I chose 0.1 because it was a relatively low number to see if i could understand the workings of the equivalence we are studying. So as h gets smaller and smaller i still get the answer of 1, and when h is zero i get:

(f'x - f'x)/0

which equals zero - OOOOOOOHHHHH - and that is what it equals as a second derivative! I didnt realize that, but i see how that works now, i think. Thankyou Dick, i got there in the end i guess.

Don't put h=0! The result is undefined! Take the limit as h->0. Look back at the definition of a 'derivative'.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and accumulation.

2. What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus focuses on the rates at which quantities change, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over a given interval. In simpler terms, differential calculus is about finding the slope of a curve, while integral calculus is about finding the area under a curve.

3. What are the main concepts in calculus?

The main concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. Derivatives are used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. Integrals are used to find the area under a curve.

4. How do I solve a calculus problem step by step?

To solve a calculus problem, you will need to follow a specific set of steps. First, identify the problem and what it is asking you to find. Then, use the appropriate formulas and techniques to solve the problem. Make sure to show all of your work and clearly explain each step. Finally, check your answer to ensure that it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to consistently practice solving problems and working through examples. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning. Additionally, seeking assistance from a tutor or joining a study group can provide valuable support and clarification on difficult concepts.