Solve Calculus Problem: Integrate √tan(x)

• Thread starter vincentchan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the integral of \sqrt{\tan{x}}, and suggests using substitution as a possible solution. The idea is to substitute u = tan(x) and then use the identity du = \sec^2(x)dx to simplify the integral. One person suggests using integration by parts after making the substitution, while another suggests using partial fractions.
vincentchan
anyone has an easy way to do the following problem..
[tex] \int \sqrt{\tan x} dx [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
the basic idea of substitution is to try to put a new symbol in for anything you find confusing. Like here you might try u = tan(x), and then of course you have to put du
= sec^2(x)dx. See if that makes it any better. you may to do some more substitutions later.

I don't think a substitution is going to do it.

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.en.cgi
Try it out. Input Sqrt[Tan[x]]. Looks rather complicated :-p .

mathwonk said:
the basic idea of substitution is to try to put a new symbol in for anything you find confusing. Like here you might try u = tan(x), and then of course you have to put du
= sec^2(x)dx. See if that makes it any better. you may to do some more substitutions later.
If [itex]du = \sec^2x dx[/itex] then:

[tex]\frac{du}{1 + u^2} = dx[/tex]

Hope that helps. Your integral is now:

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{u}}{1 + u^2}du[/tex]

I'd look at using byparts from there on, but that's just a guess.

Last edited:
parth dave's substitution seems best to me.
We have:
[tex]u=\sqrt{tan{x}}\to{du}=\frac{dx}{2u}\frac{1}{\cos^{2}x}=\frac{dx}{2u}(u^{4}+1)[/tex]
Or:
[tex]\int\sqrt{tan{x}}dx=\int\frac{2u^{2}}{u^{4}+1}du[/tex]

We note the identity:
[tex]u^{4}+1=(u^{2}-\sqrt{2}u+1)(u^{2}+\sqrt{2}u+1)[/tex]

We may now use partial fractions techniques to derive the answer.

Put tanx=t square

then dx/dt=sec(square)t

put sec(sqr)t= 1+t(sqr)

and use partial fractions ...thats it..

Related to Solve Calculus Problem: Integrate √tan(x)

1. What is the process for solving this calculus problem?

The process for solving this calculus problem is called integration. Integration is the inverse operation of differentiation, which is used to find the area under a curve. In this case, we are integrating the function √tan(x) with respect to the variable x.

2. How do I approach integrating √tan(x)?

When approaching this type of integration problem, it is helpful to use trigonometric identities to rewrite the function in a more manageable form. In this case, we can use the identity tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) to rewrite the function as √(sin(x)/cos(x)).

3. What are the steps for solving this problem?

The steps for solving this problem are as follows:
1. Rewrite the function using trigonometric identities.
2. Simplify the function by factoring out a square root and using the Pythagorean identity sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1.
3. Use the substitution method, setting u = cos(x) and du = -sin(x)dx.
4. Substitute u back into the original function and integrate.
5. Simplify the final answer and include the constant of integration.

4. What is the final answer to this calculus problem?

The final answer to this calculus problem is √tan(x) = 2√(sin(x)cos(x)) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This can also be written as 2√(sin(2x))/2 + C.

5. Can I check my solution to this problem?

Yes, you can check your solution by differentiating it to see if it equals the original function. In this case, the derivative of 2√(sin(x)cos(x)) is √tan(x). You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original function and the antiderivative to see if they match.