Calculus - strange anomaly? can anyone explain

In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x) = (1 - x^2)^1/2 and its derivative, as well as finding a primary function for f(x) and evaluating its integral from 0 to 1 to approximate pi. It is mentioned that the given primary function does not properly evaluate the integral and a different formula is suggested. The conversation also mentions the infinite derivative of f(x) at x=&plusminus;1 and suggests using trigonometric substitution. Finally, the conversation asks for more information on the fundamental theorem of calculus.
AndersHermansson
f(x) = (1 - x^2)^1/2

This all stems from me approximating pi by numerically evaluating the integral S f(x)dx from 0 to 1 and multiply the sum by 4.

Now...

Would you agree that f(x) has a derivative
f'(x) = (1 - x^2)^-1/2 * -2x

?

According to my textbook this is so. Now I can easily find a primary function for f(x).

F(x) = (1 - x^2)^3/2 / -2x

Now it doesn't seem possible to evaluate [ F(x) ] from 0 to 1.
Though it should yeild pi/4, it doesn't.

Doing a riemann sum produces an approximation to pi, while evaluating [ F(x) ] only returns bogus. Since pi is an irrational number I accept that it is impossible to express it exactly. Though, I would like someone to explain why this doesn't work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you plot the function

it is of course a circle centered on x and y equals zero, and has an infinite derivative at x=&plusminus;1.

Your F(x) is not the antiderivative to f(x) = sqrt(1-x2). It should be F(x) = (1/2)x sqrt(1-x2)+arcsin(x)/2. This new F(x) evaluates the function properly.

Ok thanks alot! Something must be left out of my textbook in that case.

Can you give me more info on this?

Last edited:
Try differentiating F(x); you'll see that it does not come out to f(x).

As for evaluating the integral, look through the section on trigonometric substitution.

Does your textbook have the "fundamental theorem of calculus"?

If you agree that the derivative of f= (1 - x^2)^1/2 is
f'(x) = (1 - x^2)^-1/2 * -2x then obviously a "primary" function for f' is f itself, not the formula you give.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals to solve problems related to rates of change and optimization.

What is a strange anomaly in calculus?

A strange anomaly in calculus refers to a phenomenon or concept that goes against the usual rules and principles of the subject. This could be a result that is unexpected or a concept that seems contradictory at first glance.

Can you give an example of a strange anomaly in calculus?

An example of a strange anomaly in calculus is the concept of Gabriel's Horn, also known as Torricelli's trumpet. It is a shape formed by rotating the curve y=1/x around the x-axis. Despite the surface area being infinite, the volume of the shape is finite.

How do you explain a strange anomaly in calculus?

A strange anomaly in calculus can be explained by understanding the underlying mathematical principles and assumptions. Oftentimes, these anomalies arise due to the limitations of mathematical models and the need for approximations in real-world scenarios.

What are the implications of a strange anomaly in calculus?

The implications of a strange anomaly in calculus can vary depending on the specific anomaly. In some cases, it may lead to further development and refinement of mathematical theories, while in others it may challenge our current understanding of the subject.