Solving for C: Calculating Area Between Two Functions in Calculus

• Thread starter CACain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area under the curve between two equations, f(x) = 2x-3x^3 and f(x) = c, and making it equal to the area between the y-axis and the two curves. The speaker started by creating a graph and integrating both areas with respect to x, using bounds of 0 to 2x-3x^3 for the first area. However, they are unsure about the bounds for the second area and may have made a mistake initially. The goal is to solve for the value of c. The other speaker provides clarification and suggests finding the integral of 2x-3x^3-c between the points where the curves intersect.
CACain
Okay, you have 2 equations (and no points on the graph given) -- You have f(x) = 2x-3x^3 and f(x) = c. You are to find the area under the curve between those 2 functions and are to make it equal with the area between the y-axis and the 2 curves.

So, I started this problem initially by creating a graph, and putting all my points on it. I integrated both the areas with respect to x.. and I used (for the area bounded by the y-axis and the curves -- which I marked A1) the bounds 0 to 2x-3x^3.

For the second one, I don't know what bounds to use.. and I think this is where I messed up initially... I used my original bounds which are now clearly wrong...

I'm so stumped, and it's most likely something silly...

Edit: in my sleepy stuper, I forgot to include (although it may be obvious) that you are to be solving for C :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make heads or tails out of what you are saying. To start with you are given y= 2x- 3x3 and y= c and you are asked to find the area between them. Okay, that would be the integral of 2x- 3x3- c where the limits of integration are two points at which the curves intersect (NOT "0 to 2x- 3x3"). Of course for many values of c, those two curves might not intersect twice so there would be no area. I have no idea what you mean by "the area between the y-axis and the 2 curves". There is no one region "between the y-axis and the 2 curves" so there is no one area.

What is the process for solving for C when calculating the area between two functions?

The process for solving for C involves finding the intersection points of the two functions, setting up and solving an integral using the intersection points as the limits of integration, and then solving for C using algebraic manipulation.

How do I find the intersection points of two functions?

To find the intersection points, set the two functions equal to each other and solve for the variable. This will give you the x-coordinate of the intersection point. Then, substitute this value into either of the original functions to find the y-coordinate.

What is an integral and how is it used in solving for C?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used in solving for C because the area between two functions is equal to the difference between the integrals of the two functions.

Can I use any two functions to calculate the area between them?

Yes, as long as the two functions intersect and do not overlap, you can use any two functions to calculate the area between them. However, some functions may be more difficult to integrate than others, so it is important to choose functions that are easy to integrate.

What is the significance of finding the area between two functions in calculus?

Finding the area between two functions can provide valuable information about the behavior of the functions and the relationship between them. It can also be used to solve real-world problems and make predictions about the future behavior of the functions.