1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)

1. Dec 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spherical water tower 40 ft in diameter has its center 120 ft above the ground. That means, there is a 120 ft pole connected to the 40 ft diameter spherical tank. Water is being pumped at the ground level to fill the tank with water of density 62.4 lb/ft3,

a) How much work is done in filling the tank half full?
    b) How much work is done in filling the tank ENTIRELY full?

2. Relevant equations

dW = (dV)*(density)*(displacement)

3. The attempt at a solution

• I calculated that dV would be a cylindrical section of the tank with height dy --> πx2 dy
    • Density is given 62.4 lb/ft3
    • I used (120 - y) as my displacement

∫(Pi)x2(120 - y) dy Limits: 0-120 ??

I don't know if the displacement is correct and how to convert x in terms of y.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2
    I am not sure what it is are using x for? Do you mean r?
  4. Dec 19, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

What is x supposed to be here? You should draw a picture of a right-angle triangle whose L-shape rests upright on the infinitesimal cylindrical slice of water. Then the hypotenuse would be constant, namely 20^2. Denote the base by x (or r) and the height as 20-y. See how to take to it from here?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?