Caluclating tension in string that is moving in horizontal circles.

In summary, Dave is trying to work out how to tension a string so that a bob moving in horizontal circles will maintain its momentum. He is having trouble with a simple question and is looking for help. He has found that using a diagram and figuring out the angle is helpful.
Dave_1984
Hi all,

First of all I'd like to say thank you to you all for providing a great forum which has been a great help to me working through my ics home learning course.

As i have learned on here and other places on the internet the information I have in my course materials is not always correct and can be very confusing causing hours of unnecessary extra work.

The question I am very stuck on is: Calculate the tension in a 3m string attached to a 3kg bob that is moving in horizontal circles of 0.6m radius.

All the information I have on working this out shows that tan should be used to work out the angle, I have questioned this with my tutor and he doesn’t seem to have an answer for me. (What chance have I got?)

I have always been very interested in physics and have enjoyed learning throughout the course. I just can’t seem to find a simple clear formula for working this question out?

Any help greatly appreciated
Many thanks,Dave.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which forces do you think are acting on the bob?

That would just be gravity?

The pull of gravity is not the only force.

Imagine you are the bob. Which pulls or pushes would you feel?

I guess a force would be created with the momentum?

There are only two forces:

the pull of gravity mg and the tension in the string.

Ok so I think I have got it:

mg=f
3x9.81=29.43N (force acting down on the bob)

So now I need to work out the angle and get the force acting on the string?

What kind of force does a particle need so that it can move in a circle?

I think I finally have the answer.

angle = tan-1 0.6/3
angle = 11.30993247

t=3x9.81/cos11.30993247
t=29.43/0.9805806757
t=30.01282886

So the tension on the string will be 30N?

The main thing that has confused me is that i read on here that tan shouldent be used also there is a mistake in my learning material.

centrifugal

'...angle = tan-1 0.6/3...'

note that tan(angle) is NOT 0.6/3

0.6/3 = sin(angle)

Ok I'm very confused now, that's the way a simular problem just different mass and string lengh is worked out in my learning material - is that wrong then?

It all depends on which angle one takes.
A diagram of the forces is very important in a problem like this.

I have drawn a diagram that definitely helps.

I have attached an example of the same question with different figures (notice the mistake cos14 is not 0.25?) I have also used this example to work out my problem and have written it to the side.

Would you mind taking a look at this?

Many Thanks
Dave.

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 864
I always start with a diagram of the forces acting so that I try to understand how the equations are obtained.

Attachments

• diag with forces.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 501
Thats great.

So I now have

[itex]\theta[/itex] = sin-1 06/3

[itex]\theta[/itex] = 11.53695903

t = mg/cos[itex]\theta[/itex]

t = 3x9.81/0.9797958971

t = 30.03686797N

That definitely clears up everything, Thankyou very much for your help.

Related to Caluclating tension in string that is moving in horizontal circles.

1. How do I calculate the tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles?

To calculate the tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles, you will need to use the centripetal force equation: T = mv^2/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

2. What is the role of tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles?

Tension is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a string, the tension is what pulls the object towards the center of the circle, allowing it to maintain its circular motion.

3. How does the speed of the object affect the tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles?

The tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles is directly proportional to the square of the speed. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the tension in the string also increases.

4. Can the tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles ever be zero?

No, the tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles can never be zero. In order for an object to maintain its circular motion, there must always be a tension force acting on it. If the tension were to become zero, the object would fly off in a straight line.

5. How does the radius of the circle affect the tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles?

The tension in a string that is moving in horizontal circles is inversely proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the tension decreases. This is because a larger radius means that the object has to travel a longer distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a lower velocity and therefore a lower tension force.