Camera Flash Circuit Explanation

In summary: Now, if the transistor is saturated...the resistance from collector to emitter is very low correct? So the voltage across the transistor should be very low...And if the voltage across the transistor is very low...and the primary of the transformer is no longer drawing current...the transistor must be the one cutting the current off.So I think the positive feedback (from the secondary to the base) is what is driving the transistor to saturation...but the transistor is what is cutting the current off...So...what causes the transistor to go into cutoff? Does anyone have a good (detailed) explanation?In summary, the two websites,
Firefox123
These two websites:

http://www.increa.com/reverse/dc/

and

http://thesignalpath.com/blogs/2011/06/12/camera-flash-circuit-and-nixie-tube-tutorial/

have very similar circuits for a standard camera flash circuit...and overall do a decent job explaining them.

There is one question I have though...one thing they do not explain in detail and I'm not quite sure what the answer is.

The question is WHY the transistor ever shuts off? WHY does it go into the cutoff mode for a short period of time? What is causing this?

So...what causes the transistor to go into cutoff? Does anyone have a good (detailed) explanation?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

No takers yet ?

i think it has to do with inductance of the little transformer.
Recall current flowing in an inductance causes magnetic flux
but iron is non-linear it can only hold so much flux,
so at some amount of current an iron core inductor quits behaving like an inductor , its flux quits increasing with current...

from your first link (and credit to those folks at http://www.increa.com/reverse/dc/ )

dcschem.gif

when transistor conduction starts,
current begins to increase in the transformer primary increasing flux in its core
and voltage in every turn of every winding is in proportion to rate of flux increase

as he said, voltage in secondary during increasing flux interval turns transistor on more(note dots) and that's positive feedback

now here's the key to it -
when transformer core has all the flux it can handle
it "saturates" and flux stops increasing
so there's no more volts induced in any of the turns of either winding
so secondary winding no longer promotes primary current
and when primary current begins to drop,
flux starts to decrease,
reversing polarity of induced voltage in all windings
so secondary winding now turns the transistor off and there it stays until flux settles back near zero.

note his positive feedback operates in BOTH half cycles ! That's why it gives that snap-action full-on full-off cycling.

we are taught to usually think of transformers as processing sinewaves
but they are at heart just inductors.

old jim

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
No takers yet ?

i think it has to do with inductance of the little transformer.
Recall current flowing in an inductance causes magnetic flux
but iron is non-linear it can only hold so much flux,
so at some amount of current an iron core inductor quits behaving like an inductor , its flux quits increasing with current...

from your first link (and credit to those folks at http://www.increa.com/reverse/dc/ )

dcschem.gif

when transistor conduction starts,
current begins to increase in the transformer primary increasing flux in its core
and voltage in every turn of every winding is in proportion to rate of flux increase

as he said, voltage in secondary during increasing flux interval turns transistor on more(note dots) and that's positive feedback

now here's the key to it -
when transformer core has all the flux it can handle
it "saturates" and flux stops increasing
so there's no more volts induced in any of the turns of either winding
so secondary winding no longer promotes primary current
and when primary current begins to drop,
flux starts to decrease,
reversing polarity of induced voltage in all windings
so secondary winding now turns the transistor off and there it stays until flux settles back near zero.

note his positive feedback operates in BOTH half cycles ! That's why it gives that snap-action full-on full-off cycling.

we are taught to usually think of transformers as processing sinewaves
but they are at heart just inductors.

old jim

Jim...thanks for the reply. I need to think about this more, but on a first look I think this might be what is happening.

Thanks again!

I need to think about this more, ...

indeed that's the thing to do.
You need to get to where you can work a machine in your head
and check the formulas that naturally fall out from your understanding against textbook formulas
when they converge you are probably right.

Observe that so long as flux is increasing, the induced voltage helps push current through the 220 ohm resistor.
When flux stops increasing due to saturation,
induced voltage drops off
reducing base drive
decreasing base current hence collector and primary current
which begins the 'decreasing flux' half cycle.

That works for me.

Now consider this drawing from another site
fflash1.gif

i think he has his 15 turn winding connected backward , 220 ohm should go to the tap not the end (or else he needs another dot on bottom of winding and reverse direction of those turns)

that had me stumped last night.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong ?

old jim

jim hardy said:
indeed that's the thing to do.
You need to get to where you can work a machine in your head
and check the formulas that naturally fall out from your understanding against textbook formulas
when they converge you are probably right.

In my short career...I have found that to usually be the case.

jim hardy said:
Observe that so long as flux is increasing, the induced voltage helps push current through the 220 ohm resistor.
When flux stops increasing due to saturation,
induced voltage drops off
reducing base drive
decreasing base current hence collector and primary current
which begins the 'decreasing flux' half cycle.

That works for me.

I think you are right...I also think this is why the OFF time of the transistor is so short compared to the ON time...the reverse EMF quickly dissipates and the process starts all over again...

jim hardy said:
Now consider this drawing from another site
fflash1.gif

i think he has his 15 turn winding connected backward , 220 ohm should go to the tap not the end (or else he needs another dot on bottom of winding and reverse direction of those turns)

that had me stumped last night.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong ?

old jim

That looks wrong to me also...

Okay I have been thinking about this a bit more...

And now I am thinking it is not due to the transformer saturating...

I think it is the transistor.

Once the transistor saturates we have maximum current flowing through it...so the current stops increasing and is constant...this causes the flux/induced voltage in the secondary to quickly drop to zero...and this is what causes the transistor to go into cut-off.

Of course the transistor goes into cut-off before "zero volts" is reached...

So I think it has more to do with the transistor saturating than the actual transformer itself...

Let me know what you think.

Related to Camera Flash Circuit Explanation

1. How does a camera flash circuit work?

A camera flash circuit works by using a capacitor to store electrical energy from the camera's battery. When the flash is triggered, the capacitor releases this energy through a wire and into a xenon gas-filled tube. The energy excites the gas molecules, causing them to emit a bright flash of light.

2. What components are included in a camera flash circuit?

A camera flash circuit typically includes a capacitor, a transformer, a trigger circuit, and a xenon tube. The capacitor stores the electrical energy, the transformer steps up the voltage to a level that can ignite the xenon gas, the trigger circuit controls when the flash is activated, and the xenon tube emits the light.

3. How does a camera flash synchronize with the camera's shutter?

A camera flash synchronizes with the camera's shutter through a synchronization circuit. This circuit detects when the shutter is fully open and sends a signal to the trigger circuit, triggering the flash at the right moment to capture the photo with proper lighting.

4. What is the purpose of a pre-flash in a camera flash circuit?

A pre-flash in a camera flash circuit serves two main purposes. First, it allows the camera to meter the amount of light needed for the photo before the actual flash occurs. Second, it helps reduce the red-eye effect by causing the subject's pupils to constrict before the main flash.

5. How do I troubleshoot a camera flash circuit that is not working?

If your camera flash circuit is not working, first check the batteries and connections to make sure they are not the issue. You can also try cleaning the contacts on the flash and camera to ensure a good connection. If the problem persists, it may be a more complex issue and should be looked at by a professional.